1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

FEBRUARY DIY FOOD

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by Zoobie, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Tadpole GIRS Member

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +1 / 1 / -0
    OK put me down for 1 bag. I also will have the $ for dues in hand. Just will need to know who to talk to for every thing.

2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Technically we cut off the count last week but I'm figuring up the batch for 70 bags and if we still don't have enough I can spare one of mine so you're good

3. Zoobie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Bondurant
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Good morning everyone. We have got all the stuff to make the food. The price for food will be 10 dollars for people that come and help make the food. It will be 15 dollars for the people who are not able to attend and help. Please post if you will be able to attend and help. This will be a great event and will be great to see central campus. Thanks everyone.

4. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    We will be there....

5. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    Look forward to seeing everyone there!

6. daalbers

daalbers Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 3 / -0

8:00 correct

7. Zoobie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Bondurant
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Tour at 8:30 and food making starts at 9 am

8. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    me there for tour and food makings

9. Salty

Salty

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll be there for the tour and to help.

10. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0

Its there anything that you need people to bring, or do you have it covered?

11. Tadpole GIRS Member

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +1 / 1 / -0
    I'll be there for tour and to help also

12. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0

I'll be there.

13. pwfish

pwfish Well-Known ReefKeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0

I plan on being there for the tour, and may help a few hours with the food.

14. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Well I tried the grinder method and either the one I got sucks or it's not going to work well in general, so we're doing it the usual way.

Bring sharp knives and cutting boards

Food processor if you have one, I will bring the club one (or give it to someone)

I have 2 digital scales, bring one if you have one

colanders are handy if you have one, the bigger the better

The shrimp is no head, no tail, no shell, so this time, NO PEELING!!!

The octopus & squid will need to be cut up by hand. That is the reason for the sharp knives and cutting boards.

I will provide the buckets, the 2 AquaVitro 7 gallons buckets that we used last time.

There will be RO/DI there for our use as I understand it for soaking the seafood after it's thawed, so no need for that, but I will also provide additonal white food safe buckets for soaking

If anyone has a heavy-duty drill, bring it and let me know you're bringing it. I have the mixing bit, but the shaft on the thing is 1/2" hex (0.472 actually) so you need more than just your standard drill to use it.

If you have any big stock pots, bring those. That helps for holding hot water for thawing.

I will provide large plastic ziplock bags for use in thawing the cubes and daphnia

Since we will need to separate out even amount of the seafood so that each bucket is the same mixture, having a few large mixing bowls would be good so that we can scale off each at the same time and get it even (like we did last time). The other option is to use a larger bucket - I might look for one, like a 15 gallon size or something, but it has to have a flat bottom so that the mixer will make it all the way down. Anyone have an idea for that?

I won't be there until pretty much the end because, because the start time is 9 instead of 10 or 11 and I can't change my family schedule, so I'll be writing up some instructions, and most of you coming already know the drill so I think it will go fine.

Going to look at using bigger ziplock bags this time also, that way we don't have to cut down the nori sheets, and when they freeze they will be thinner and easier to deal with. For a smaller freezer you can old the bag in half and freeze it that way also.

-Bud

15. daalbers

daalbers Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 3 / -0

. I will bring a food processor and drill. will we be using a cup for measuring again that seemed to work well and went fast. Bud will you bring my water test thingy with you

16. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    I'll be there around 9 after all I picked up 2 coladers, a few dry and wet measuring cups, a few 1 gallon buckets, and a 20 gallon keg tub that will work PERFECT so no more separating and weighing things. I also picked up another scale and a food processor...going to test something tonight since the grinder was a fail...
    And Zach and I picked up all the seafood tonight. We're good to go!

17. Troy C

Troy C

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will be there, but I will be late. Have to take care of a few things before I get there.

18. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    We will need people to help carry up all the supplies when Zach arrives around 8:30 and again when I get there around 8:45

19. bearsareawsome Well-Known ReefKeeper

Norwalk, IA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I will be there for the tour and to help. I can't wait to see everyone it has been way to long.

20. Mike-2

Mike-2

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am just getting off work so unfortunately I will not be able to be there till late. I am afraid I won't be much help other then clean up and hauling stuff to people's cars. I don't have a problem paying the $15 since I'm not going to be much help during the main process. I am really bummed that I cant make it for the tour, this wll be my first time there. Will the doors still be unlocked around 11:00 or is there someone I can contact to get access?