1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

FEBRUARY DIY FOOD

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by Zoobie, Jan 16, 2014.

1. jazzybio13 MBI Breeder GIRS Member

Ames
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

derekjmd- I use my kitchenaid for my own food that I make, it's all preference on how chunky you like it. For the club reef mash I'd say it's too big.

Here is the size of squid as it comes out with the meat grinder. (under the vitamins and krill meal powder).

It would do great for a predator mash,but NOT a reef mash. Just as an FYI.

[​IMG]

2. derekjmd

derekjmd

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I will not brink the kitchenaid.. but knives are a sure thing.. what book is that you have open?

3. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Well now I'm not sure. This might be a good option. Cutting the squid and octopus into strips is a total pain. Anything to speed up
    The process is welcome. I would be willing to do a test run if I can use your machine to try it out [​IMG]

4. jazzybio13 MBI Breeder GIRS Member

Ames
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

***IMPORTANT****

This was the larger hole size of the two available kitchen aid meat grinder options. and it MUST BE FROZEN!!!! There is a bit at the very end that we hand chopped after pulling out of the sleeve, but otherwise it did fine. I had previously already cut them into 2" squares (from a previous batch) and I think this was nice, but probably not necessary. Here's a small sampler of the foods we put in for the larger mash.

You guys are welcome to go look through the entire album of pictures on my Facebook group if it'll help you out. We will be running another batch here very soon, so if your wanting me to 'try' something on the kitchenaid and give you an update on how it turned out, or show pics... just let me know.

Here's the facebook group link: (the group name is Just Fishin' Around)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/320720081395752/

[​IMG]

5. derekjmd

derekjmd

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Lol.. k I will bring it.. did you want to do a test run that day or did you mean prior to the 22nd?

6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    I mean prior. Just enough for a test.

7. derekjmd

derekjmd

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Ok PM me your number and i will get in touch with you and either i can bring it to your house or you can come to mine.. I am in Ankeny but I drive around the whole area a lot for work during the week and head to West Des Moines a lot on the weekends (there is fun things there)

8. Zoobie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Bondurant
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Alright everyone we are going to be taking the final count on sunday so we can order stuff starting on monday. If you want food make sure to post how many bags so we can get the right amount of stuff. Thanks everyone and looking forward to seeing everyone there.

9. Zoobie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Bondurant
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0

If you had posted and said you wanted food, please check the count on the first page and verify it is correct. If it is a not right let me know so i can fix it. Remember we are doing a final count on sunday and ordering the ingredients on monday. Thanks.

10. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0

Please put Nick Graber down for 4 bags and I will take 1 bag. We will both be there to help. If there is something you want us to bring please let us know.

11. Zoobie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Bondurant
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0

Looks like we ended up with 61 bags. That is great. We are going to start ordering the ingredients this week. Thanks everyone and looking forward to see everyone there.

12. Salty

Salty

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Doesn't look like I'm on the list yet, I will be there and take 2. Thanks!

13. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    We are locked in now, we may have a few extra bags if anyone wants in after this point, but there are not guarantees. going to start working on the quantities and placing orders for DSM and CR.

14. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Sorry guys but I can't make it this time:9( I'd love to see central Campus again ;0) The oldest is getting married soon so I have to pass on this one :9( I should have enough food to last me until the next go in about 6 months :0)

15. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Anyone who wants to tour the room needs to be there at 8:30. Kirk needs to get out as soon as we are done with the food.

16. Zoobie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Bondurant
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    That's good to know Nik thanks for updating on the post. I urge people to get there early and get a tour. It is a awesome setup with a ton of fish and corals.

17. daalbers

daalbers Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 3 / -0

18. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Park across Grand at the little parking lot (there is no charge) and go in the main front door.

We will post more info when the time gets closer

I won't be able to make it until closer to 11am due to kid/sports goings on...

19. Tadpole GIRS Member

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +1 / 1 / -0
    Can someone that is not a full member yet participate in this? I'm getting ready to pay my dues to join. If so what do I need to bring. And how much dose a bag cost?

20. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Any non-member can attend one event prior to paying dues. But to benefit from being a member, you need to become a member. i.e. if you want to buy food, you have to pay dues. You can pay your dues at the event if you want.

Typically we have charged $10 per bag if you attend. I don't believe we have decided on the non-attendance cost per bag though. We had some discussion about this at the last meeting. Each bag will be roughly 14oz so either way it's a heck of a deal.