1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

FEBRUARY DIY FOOD

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by Zoobie, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Zoobie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Bondurant
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0

Hello everyone. We are going to be doing DIY Food on Feb 22 from 9am to 12pm at Central Campus. Please reply to this post with how many bags you want so we can figure out what we need to buy. If there are any questions please ask or send me a pm.

As of 2/6

Nik - 10

Zoobie - 3

Dave - 2-3

daalbers - 2

Bud - 10ish

Eric & Amber - 4-6

Fence12 - 3

Troy C - 2

malibu74 - 3-4

Beckerj3 - 2-3

Mike - 1

Chris C. - 3

derekjmd - 2

armydog - 4

Nick G - 4

Maureen - 1

Salty -2

Total: 58-63

Locking in on 58-65 bags, need to finalize order quantites and make the purchases. Additional bags may be available but should not be counted on.

2. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I will be there and need 10.

3. Zoobie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Bondurant
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    I will be there and need 3

4. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    I will be there and need 2-3 bags.

5. daalbers

daalbers Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 3 / -0
    I will need 2 and will be there

6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I'll be there and will need umpteen bags.

7. Eric & Amber

Eric & Amber Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK so I will be there need 4-6 . This is the same food we made at the last event correct ?

8. Zoobie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Bondurant
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Yes

9. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Pretty much. I'm planning on thinning out the additives a bit though. I think the last batch was a bit too "powerful". But I haven't heard much at all in the way of feedback other than it's way cheaper than anything else.

10. Eric & Amber

Eric & Amber Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am fairly new to the Salt water world and have not tryed a lot of different foods but my corals seam to grow great please don't change this product .

11. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0

3! i'm also glad that i haven't ran out of the others yet but 3 will be good for me for a year /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

EDIT: Bud, my feedback is all good things about the food. All the fish love it in my tank and I'm pretty sure my corals are enjoying it to some degree as well.

12. Troy C

Troy C

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I should be there. I will need 2 bags

13. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I went through the Summer '13 ingredients list and thinned things out a bit. There were a few duplicate things in there like Reef Roids & Coral Frenzy, some vitamin/amino/fatty acid supplements, etc. Also switched from Selcon to Aqua-tech S.E.L.C.O. (Mark Vera's stuff) and also shot him an e-mail about his AZOX product and if that could be included/frozen without 'ruining' it.

14. malibu74

malibu74 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is there only 1 kind? Last ones I got had some big chunks of cod and shrimp in it that had to strain out and ended up throwing away . Was wondering if made some that was more reef friendly for smaller fish .

15. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    The food has always been intended to be a general grade of food, so when we run the seafood through the food processor, there will always end up being pieces that make it through. It you run the food processor too long, you end up with everything way too fine for many fish to eat.

With the inevitable larger chunks, I would chop them up instead of throwing them away. For the most part though, you should be able to break them up with your fingers. The squid, octopus, and shrimp might be a little tougher, but the cod and scallops should break up easily.

If this is too much work and you don't want to deal with it, you can run your portion through a blender (not a food processor) before freezing it. So let's say you wanted 4 bags, then we could set 4 bags worth of food aside in a larger ziplock bag and you could then blend, portion it out into the smaller bags, and freeze.

16. malibu74

malibu74 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm not trying to make a big deal about it . Just hate wasting parts that fish don't eat . It is great food. Just thought I would ask if was some for people with small reefs. My tangs will pick at the larger pieces but most time would end up removing chunks from bottom of tank . That's when I just started straining it .

17. malibu74

malibu74 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Either way I will be there . Looking at 3 or 4 bags . Still great food regardless .

18. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Let us know what you find out aboutusing the AZOX in the food Bud. Looking forward to hearing what he says :0)

19. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0

I will take 2 bags, possibly 3.

20. Zoobie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Bondurant
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    We still need people to help out with making the food. If you are interested please post that you can help and make sure if you want food to post that as well. We are over 40 bags already.