1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

[Feb 13, 2016] Des Moines February 13th Meeting (Bondurant, IA)

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by Armydog, Jan 31, 2016.

Des Moines February 13th Meeting
Posted By Armydog

Zoobies House
501 4th St SE, Bondurant, IA 50035, USA
Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 12:00 PM
(ends Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 03:00 PM)
Timezone: America/Chicago

Upcoming Occurrences

All times have been adjusted for the timezone: America/Chicago

This event does not have any/other upcoming occurrences...
  1. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    @Sponge@Sponge see my quoted comment above - the weight and cost/bag depends on a few factors like the raw material cost and the estimated weight of the entire batch. I have a formula that figures this all out, we try to shoot for 16oz bags but sometimes it's 14 if we need to make a few more bags. If we come up short, the people who want the most bags will just end up walking away with a few less bags, that's all. If there are extra bags then people can buy more. In the past once we break even we raffle a bag or two off, or donate to Boone, Smouse, Central Campus, etc....but we're not obligated to do any of that, we could just sell them outright. Also sometimes we hold bags for people who can't make it, and then they don't show up. This is how I sometimes end up with 20 bags in my freezer (happened to Kyle Potter also)

2. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Do we have a count for those who are going to be pitching in to make the food?

3. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Terri - its 11. Its listed in the RSVP box. If you do a left click on 'going' you will see the names of those that RSVP's that they are going.
    --- Auto-Merged, Feb 8, 2016 ---
    Sorry guys - I won't be able to make it. I have a commitment on Saturday from noon to 2pm. I had hoped this event was going to be in the morning.

4. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    Jeanette, sorry you can't make it I was hoping you would be there!

5. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Yeah, I was hoping to be there also.

6. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Thanks Jeanette!! Enjoy :0)

7. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I'll have the Holiday Party prizes for @Zoobie@Zoobie @Dustin Mcaninch@Dustin Mcaninch @Fence13@Fence13 @Waterrat41@Waterrat41 if any of you are unable to make it Saturday, let me know
    ...unless you pick it up tonight
    Did you get the extra vials?
    Finalizing the supply order now, it looks like the way the number fall together we'll be making 80 bags roughly (+/- 3 or 4)

8. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Also I need to check with everyone (and I haven't ran this past @Zoobie@Zoobie yet so don't shoot me)

@Dave@Dave @Sponge@Sponge @Maureen@Maureen @violet21chewy@violet21chewy @Chris C.@Chris C. @Fence13@Fence13 @FFrost@FFrost @Waterrat41@Waterrat41 @Dustin Mcaninch@Dustin Mcaninch

The current schedule is noon to 3pm. This can stay but the issue is that I have to get my son to a BB game in Waukee by 2:40 so I would have to leave no later than 2pm. This event historically takes about 2 hours when you are slamming through it so that would technically work but leaves me no room for error...does anyone object to bumping the time back to 11am or even 10am?

@Zoobie@Zoobie is there any reason it's can't start earlier than noon? In the past I think we've even started this as early as 8am, for my, the earlier the better.

9. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    I'm fine with whatever time works for everyone.

Also I did not get any of the vials/reagent for that checker. Happy to take anything I can get though :)

10. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    I cant start before 11:30am but will get there asap if we change the start time.

11. Zoobie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Bondurant
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    That is fine with me Bud. I have no plans that day so I am free anytime. I get up at 5 am so we can start anytime.

12. Placid

Norwalk, IA
    Ratings:
    +60 / 2 / -0
    I'm in for 3-4 bags if not too late.I won't be able to make the event as I'll be working on the farm down south.

13. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I have extras that I was going to bring to the party, I will bring them Saturday
    Thanks Dave
    I'll probably show up early then, I would say that anyone who wants to show up early, come as early as 10am and we'll just mosey along instead of rushing through it. Those dang cubes take a long time to thaw. If you planned on being there by noon and can't make it earlier and if we're close to done by then, that won't hose you out of a helping-out-bag-price just give us a heads up here please.

14. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    We should be able to get you taken care of

15. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    I am fine with coming earlier.

16. I'm also fine with what ever time works the best

17. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Whatever time works for me...I'll be there as long as the weather holds:0)

18. tangers Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Britt and I will be coming for part most of it. We were able to push some stuff back and won't have to leave for Cresco until about 12-1.

19. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Awesome, that worked out! I know that you really wanted to make it

20. Zoobie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Bondurant
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    If anyone has problems finding the house my number is 515-210-0681. Should be easy if you follow my instructions i posted earlier.

Zach