1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Favorite Biocube 14 upgrades

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nrenn, Feb 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. nrenn Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waverly, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Been out of the hobby for awhile and not really sure what the latest and greatest improvements are. Looking to upgrade a Biocube 14 from PC to LED lights for LPS or even SPS capability if possible. What are your favorite prebuilt or DIY kits/retrofits? Would prefer to fit it in the original hood. Got any other possible improvements: mini skimmer, flow, etc? Would love to put a sump under it, but don't want to drill the back and risk a crack.

Planning for the end setup to be able to exchange water with my main display tank in lieu of a traditional water change, so water quality is less of an issue

2. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    It's slightly off from what you're looking for but I really liked moving to Innovative Marine's tanks from my biocube. I'd look into them.

3. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    Steve's LEDs

4. reefermadness336

reefermadness336

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    +1 for Steves led.

5. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    I may have a 29 gallon biocube for sale soon with Steve's LEDS already installed and an MP10 on the side for flow

6. nrenn Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waverly, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I've still got my Biocube 14 though. Its going to be a frag tank i think.

Fun fact about this actually: all my corals were pretty much dead, the lights were burning out, I was burning out...so one day like 2 years ago I just unplugged it and left it as is. A few weeks ago i was moving it around and peeked inside. With NO incoming nutrients, lights, flow, heaters, or water changes/top off, the bristle worms, mini star fish, and mini snails are still thriving! About 50% of the water has evaporated out by now, so I imagine its completely toxic to anything else