1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Fatality...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ZLTFUL, Feb 14, 2008.

1. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well...
    I got home from work today and went to feed the fishes...
    I thought to myself this is wierd because Nelly (My false perc) was not charging to the surface like she always does for first dibs at food.
    I looked around and looked around on the floor and couldn't see her.
    I then noticed the crabs were all beelining for a section of the rock with a little cave. I found her there stiff as a board. The crabs hadn't dug into her yet but she was dead. I examined her after removing her from the tank and didn't see any visible issues.
    I then checked all the params twice and other than my constant 1-5 trates, everything else was good or zero. pH was slightly elevated (if you want to call 8.4 from the normal 8.2 elevated) but nothing else seemed out of whack All the other fish are acting normal as ever and none of them have anything visibly wrong with them.
    I am upset because she was just starting to eat from my hand, rubbing against my hand in the tank, and letting me kind of pet her.
    So...Nelly has gone to that great big anemone in the sky. [​IMG]
    *sulk*

2. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    that sucks, clowns are cool fish. i think id be pretty unhappy if mine died , ive kinda become attatched to the little buggers.

my clowns try and peck at my fingers, i guess they trust em now and associate them with food.

ive always shied away from touching or netting fish on account of what it does to their slime coat, after netting a fish you can look down the side of it, if its stationary that is and acctually see where its slime coat is gone.

im sure you have picked a fish up and felt all the slime on your hand and that wonderful smell that comes with it.

it leaves them wide open to bacteria and parasites, no defense against them.

i also talked to a state fisheries guy down in moline once when they were shocking walleyes to milk their spawn, and he told me that they have a 30% fatality rate with them on account of being handled.

im not saying thats why the fish died but it is one possibility.

i was shocked last year when my huge beutiful tomato plants got these weird spots on them in the matter of 24 hours and litterally dropped to the ground overnight. i took a few leaves to the nursery and the lady took one look at them and said, do you smoke ciggaretts? i said yeah, she said you introduced the tobacco disease to you plants from your hands or clothes.

i didnt beleive her, i thought it was bologne, but i got on the internet and it showed exactly what happened to my plants and the cause was from tobacco on my hands.

3. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Didn't anyone ever tell you that smoking kills.... tomato plants... ? /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif First time I have heard that. I have heard of people having trouble keeping a coral tank in a home with heavy smokers.

4. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No smokers in my place and the tank params are spot on. Just must have been a total fluke. The other fish are just as normal as ever.

5. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's too bad Ryan. Atleast nothing else has died though.