1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Facebook Club

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    Fair feedback from both of you. Some "food for thought" if you are strictly looking at a membership on a cost/benefit basis, I would suggest participating in the DIY food event - one posted right now - if you attend 1 frag fest and get just 1 bag a year of that stuff you've more than paid for a membership (16 oz bag for $10 if you help out is a great deal). Beyond financial justification, I have also met a lot of hobbyists and purchased corals from them at a great price as well as learning a lot from them. I've also sold a lot of corals at very good prices to members too.

Having said that, I am also a member of CIRS and it is a good group too so I am not biased and it doesn't have to be a one or the other situation - both are hobbyist oriented groups with good members.

2. Peter

Peter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hey thanks for your insight Dave.

$20 is really nothing to me. But I guess if I chose to support something I'd expect something in return like activitys.. something... Maybe that's just me idk. I can talk on here for free now.

As for the food. I'm not interested in it. Of course Larry wouldn't care he sells to thousands of stores it's not hurting his pockets. I'd much rather purchase my foods from my local stores like Iowa Pet or 4 Paws Unleashed.

CIRS is free and does things for the members like photo contests with prizes and a sponsor is giving away an algae scrubber right now... and right now for me GIRS is free and I haven't seen much for the past year

3. Peter

Peter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    But I do apologize I was just wanting to share the local Facebook group I thought it may be good for some people on here to also join and participate in the contests and conversations.

Happy Reefing

Peter

4. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    It is in bad taste to hang out at a groups site and promote another group all while you state why you don't care for the group you are hanging out at. If a person does not like a group and their main objective is to find fault, then you are not in the right place for you. GIRS Is not just about what you can get out of it. We are a community that does for others. We volunteer our time and our money to help members and non members in need. Many of our members can attest to this. Several schools have benefitted from our volunteering as well. It sounds like you already have found the right for for you at CIRS.

5. Peter

Peter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hey Maureen thanks for your insight.

I'll stick with both groups.

Ive seen people share from R2R on here and don't recall anyone saying what you did to them.

I appreciate it though. As said before I was just sharing information. It's kinda like sharing fish store information.

6. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    I don't remember you hanging out here before. Welcome! I must have missed you. I also don't have knowledge of your R2R statement. Perhaps you can pull it up where people from R2R came on here and promoted their site while stating why it is not worth their while to join GIRS. At GIRS we enjoy having people that visit from another site and contribute positively. Many of us belong to more than one site, I know I do. Since you are into sharing information I felt sure that you would appreciate the kindness I was showing you in sharing a little info about on line etiquette with you. It was said with the best of intentions. I am glad to hear you like us enough to want to contribute. Happy reefing to you!

7. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Sharing links to a big board like RC, R2R, Reef Sanctary, Ultimate Reef, etc is different than actively and repeatedly promoting another local group IMO. National/international boards aren't in the same category really.

Those boards don't like it when you link to one another, because they're in the same category.

8. Peter

Peter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I believe it was 3 times

But I appreciate the feedback

Happy Reefing

9. yankieman Well-Known ReefKeeper

Monmouth, IL
    Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I am not sure where you get we have no activity we have had a meeting every month this year and having one today your welcome to attend just check the Burlington Region forum

10. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    I think the technical term for this is agent provocateur.

11. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    lol google that term!!!

12. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    I of course meant lingerie

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Deleted member 1172

Deleted member 1172 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dude... I'm at work and googled that! lol

14. Peter

Peter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Lots of great feedback here thanks everyone

Happy Reefing

Peter

15. Peter

Peter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the offer but that a little far for me. I'm in Ames area and looks like most of those meetings are in Illinois. Keep up the good work in the Illinois area looks very active.

Happy Reefing

Peter