1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

External Skimmer Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gered, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Ok I am running an Octopus DNWB 110 recirculating skimmer. I am using a maxijet 600 to feed it. As some of you may know maxijets include pieces to feed air into the pump. Would there be any benefit to start feeding air into it before it reaches the skimmer pump?

I was just sitting here looking at all the extra parts and it popped into my head. Just thought I would see what everyone thought.

2. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    try it and find out :)

3. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It wont help! The water that is pulled into the pump creates a vacuum in the venturi, if you introduce air through the venturi it will interrupt the venturis own vacuum, making bubble production erratic and not steady.
    If you want to improve your skimmer performance try hooking up an air pump to your recirculating pump, just make sure the air pump can put out more then the pump is already taking in!!
    Just my two cents!

4. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    That is what I was looking to hear. I think the performance is fine for now just thought I would check and see if this would change anything. Thanks B-rad!