1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

External pumps...preferences?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by saltwaternewbee, Dec 1, 2008.

1. saltwaternewbee

saltwaternewbee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was just wondering if i can get some feedback on external pumps. We are thinking about switching over from internal sump to external and would like ideas on what to go with. Pan World or Sequence pumps...any others? We are gonna go about 15' up and the wife wants a pump that's reliable. Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would also check out blueline and Iwalki. I know blueline makes some of the most energy efficient pumps available.

3. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a Sequence Barracuda pump and it's really a quality pump. I used a Gen X 40 on my 90 gallon tank and I thought it was a little noisy.

4. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have an Iwaki and the person I bought it from had one that ran for 10+ years with just regular cleaning.

5. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I have a blueline on my system and it has been running great, i also run a sequence Dart on my moms pond, but dont think it will do 15' of head, are you really needing to go that high??

6. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Not sure how much flow you need but the velocity T4 is a pressure rated pump and it's supposed to be one of the best and quietest around.

7. saltwaternewbee

saltwaternewbee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We are wanting to put the sump in the basement just below the tank. I'm figuring 5' to the ceiling, then 5' to where it Y's off and the another 3' from the bottom of the tank to the top. We are running 2 Marineland Maxi-jet 3000 (500 gph @4')for the returns now with the sump under the tank. I'd like to keep around that flow or maybe a little more.