1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

external overflow vs drilled tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rustin, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Rustin

Rustin Inactive User GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was looking to upgrade to a larger tank and found one I like but it doesnt have built in overflow. What are the cons to having external overflow boxes vs a drilled tank.I currently have a 100 gal with a rena XP4 filter set up so I dont have any experience with sumps and overflows.
    Thanks

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The main con to external overflows is that it's very difficult if not impossible to set them up so that they are fail-proof. There are a lot of things that can cause them to fail (like power outages) and when they fail, a lot of bad things can happen like overflowing your tank and flooding your floor.

I highly recommend that you dril and build an internal overflow so you can let gravity take care of the rest... It will give you a lot of peace of mind.

-JB

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Amen to what JB said, drilled is the only way to go!

4. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Agreed, and remember, you can drill most tanks if the glass is not tempered. Having said that, I had four HOB overflows running. Now I have three and one is homemade. In the end I will have only one. My new 240 is tempered glass all the way around so I couldn't drill it. HOB's work but you have to be diligent in their care. They need to be inspected daily to make sure the aqualifter vacuum pump is flowing freely. Craig and JB are right, they are dangerous. But if you get CPR's with aqualifters the power outage worry goes away.

5. Rustin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are all large glass tanks tampered glass?

6. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    No, but it is hard to tell. The only "reliable" way to know it is is to inspect the glass very carefully. If it is tempered it should have markings. And if you can't find them, cross your fingers while you drill.

7. Rustin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    does the thickness of the glass tell you anything? Ii found a 210 gal tankand the glass is about .5 in thick

8. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Nope, you need to inspect with a magnifying glass for the tempered markings like the windshield of a car.

9. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    in most cases that bottom is tempered but not the sides or front and back. if you have a good ear and know what to listen for, you can also tell by tapping on the glass, tempered glass will sound different. i downloaded a data sheet from allglass a while back and it had marked on there which tanks had tempered glass and which didn't, you may be able to find out for sure that way.
    and you definitely want to drill if you can. i hate hob overflows.