1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Enkamat mesh mod for sedra 5000 pump needlewheel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by IowaDiver, Nov 6, 2008.

1. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    The enkamat mesh mod involves buying this mesh like material called enkamat, and then attaching it to your skimmer pump's needlewheel so it makes more bubbles, which increases the effectiveness of your skimmer.
    So since I had my tank tore down I decided to frack up my equipment by mangling my ASM g3 skimmer needlewheel.
    I did some googling and found several instructions and some variation to each of them. Some say to cut all the needles off. Others say to leave 4 at the 12, 3,6 and 9 positions. Some say to drill an extra 4 holes in the wheel since the existing 4 are used for zip ties. Others say to not drill holes. So I decided to follow some of both instructions.
    First, I said a prayer to the Flying Spaghetti God
    [​IMG]
    Then I cut all of the 30 or 40 needles off the wheel, leaving just one on each side. I cut three squares of the enkamat mesh and zip tied it to the wheel using the 4 existing holes. I decided to go the way of water and not drill any extra holes. Then I trimmed the matting that protruded over the edges of the wheel.
    Hopefully this mod is as good as people say it is. Btw, does anyone else have experience with this mod?

2. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm planning on trying it without cutting any of the pins off. Did you happen to read anything about people who have tried that?

3. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I modded my ASM G2 with the Enkamat (I'll get it some mailed to you Lee just haven't gotten to the post office yet)

It skimmed like crazy after I did it. Def. injected a lot more air and was a skimming machine. The only problem I had was that the pump did not like to restart after I did it (mine had the sedra 3500). So everytime I cleaned the cup, skimmer etc.. I just didn't shut it off. Which isn't always an option. When I modded mine I cut all the pins off and drilled the extra couple holes for the zipties.

If I were to do it again. I would still cut all the pins off, and I would still drill the extra holes. BUT instead of using the zipties to hold the enkamat to the impellar I would use some heavy gauge monofilament fishing line. When the zipties loop in the back of the impellar i'm pretty sure they were rubbing on the housing of the pump and that was causing issues on mine. Plus they add a lot more weight which can throw it off balance easier than the fishing line can.

Here's a picture of mine while I was doing it:

[​IMG]

4. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Every mod I read about, the person cut all the pins off or left 2 to 4 on to provide some more stability to the mesh. I think it could be hard to get the mesh through all those pins.
    Thanks for the tip, I thought about using fishing line but was wondering if it was durable enough to hold up. I think I have some 12 pound line that should do the trick. I hope I don't have problems with it restarting though. Also, have you had to replace the enakamat at all or is it still holding up?

Thanks

5. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I ran it that way for probably 3-4 months before I sold everything and the enkamat still looked pretty good to me. It's pretty cheap stuff though if you need to replace it.