1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

emporium

Discussion in 'Waterloo / Cedar Falls Area' started by ruggerkc, Oct 9, 2008.

1. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    I just read on another forum that the emporium is closing and havin some large discounts.

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    WOW, now we will truly have no LFS in wloo

3. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    thats kinda sad.....i think if they would have stayed where they were and cleaned the place up abit everything would have been dandy

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    My realtor said they were close to eviction from their place on La Porte Rd, they had to move one way or the other.

5. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    They sure have alot of inventory.

6. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Man, kinda makes a guy wanna have a fish store now that hole is gonna be gone. That place did have potential but man they had soo much CRAP you could go in there and find additives over 10 years old...vintage!!

/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

R.I.P

7. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As much as I hated them, it was still nice to have a local place to buy cyclopeeze and look around every once in awhile. I would think as long as someone could run a clean petstore it would do well... seems like all the past ones have been dumps.

8. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i was always a good place to go and give some pointers to the employeees.
    what forum did u find that out at?

9. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I talked to Jim this morning.

He said they will sell it ordecide to close it by the 15th.

He will call me & let me know so we can help him buy the clearance items.

10. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    *tear.... ok ok maybe *half a tear....

I am sorry, but I haven't made the trip to cedar falls to check their stock since I moved here. The store just had too much going on for one location. You really need to specialize to survive and tank maintainance accounts are key to fish stores as pet grooming is to dog and cat shops. As far as I could tell they had no maintainance accounts and no grooming facilities, but they had both fish and dogs/cats plus all the birds rats and other crap if you could find them... Clean well stocked (not full of old dusty garbage) store with a good set of maintainance accounts equals success.

11. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By xroads on 10/09/2008 08:08 PM
    WOW, now we will truly have no LFS in wloo
    Hey hey now...   We still have Petco!!!! [​IMG][​IMG]       *the realization of what I just said is starting to sink in...* [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Travis,

Did you move to Waterloo? I thought you were in the Quad Cities....

-JB

13. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well i just went there, They have everything 30%, and i was told to make it there before tuesday.

I as also given my second coral to try to save for them

14. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
  15. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jbrunken on 10/10/2008 09:38 AM
    Travis,
    Did you move to Waterloo? I thought you were in the Quad Cities....
    -JB
    Actually I am out here in Independence with Jason, kind of away from everything.  I miss the QC conveniences, but love being back in small town life.

16. bea

bea Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I work at emporium pets, and one of your regulars here directed us to this thread.
    The bashing is unnecessary. We're people with feelings that try our best at our jobs.
    I read on either this board or another that people are saying EP was almost evicted out of the LaPorte road location and that just is not true.
    Also the IRS is NOT shutting our doors. Whoever said that has no knowledge of the situation.
    What IS true
    Someone may buy the store, they are in the process of seeing if it will work out
    If someone doesn't purchase it or at least get things started by Wed., on Thurs. morning it will not be open
    everything except feeder fish, mice, and crickets is 30% off. (With the exception of dog and cat foods, and also dogs and cats, but they were marked down).
    There is no schedule for further markdowns past the 30%. I'm not saying it wont' happen (it's not my call) but right now nothing is planned (as far as the employees know) as plenty of stuff is selling out at 30%.
    IF the store shuts down on Wed night, the animals will not just be "left there" the employees will continue to go in (without pay) and care for the fish, small animals, dogs, cats, etc.. until such time as a place is found for them.
    Please do not say deragatory things about the store, jim and maureen (who have internet access and know how to google) and who are elderly have dedicated their entire lives to this store. It's such a sad thing for them....
    and please try to give some thought to the employees losing their jobs (IF it comes to that), most have children, one woman is expecting a baby, and jobs can be difficult to come by, especially right now. Some of the employees have been there for 14 yrs and 12 yrs.
    They don't need to read the rude and senseless comments.
    Thank you

17. bea

bea Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By davidm199 on 10/10/2008 11:30 AM
    well i just went there, They have everything 30%, and i was told to make it there before tuesday.
    I as also given my second coral to try to save for them
    Umm yeah, you were told today when you were given the coral that it came to us in bad condition only a couple weeks ago. We did NOT give it to you so you could "save it".  We had nothing to do with how it looked.
    Good luck getting anyone to give you anything or to sell you anything for as long as the store is around. We know exactly who you are and none of us are happy about it. Especially the fish dept. people.

18. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't think he was trying to say it was your fault for its' poor health.

I'm not quite sure why you are taking offense to ALL of our comments. Many of us were just pointing out the strengths and weaknesses that we saw. If anything you should be thankful for hearing some feedback so you know what customers want, and what you could improve on. Feedback is essential for any business. That being said, this is a discussion forum and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I'm sorry you are taking offense to it, I don't think that is anyones intention.

I'm almost positive all of us GIRS members in the Wloo/CF have helped support EP over the years by buying food/fish/supplies and bringing in corals for you to sell. I'm sure I have spent over $1000 there when you add everything up. I really do hope you can keep your doors open.

19. bea

bea Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In my first post, I posted a general synopsis in return to some things i had seen written in this forum AND another one. It was a general This is what is true and this is what isn't.
    I am thankful to those that chose to post constructive criticism (Keyword: constructive). Yes feedback is good, but what good does it do, posted here in cyberspace, tell the owners what you'd like to see, as us employees have no control over anything at the store. We're all a little sad and upset right now and I know the employees are reading these forums. I hate to see my friends and co-workers be anymore hurt and sad than they already are. That's all.

Thank you

20. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    It is sad to see a family owned business close, i hope all of the employees are able to keep their jobs or are able to find new ones fairly easily. Personally i would really like to see someone buy the place and update some things.