1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Ecotech Vortech Pump

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Madjabjoe, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Madjabjoe

Madjabjoe Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone had any experiance using the Ecotech vortech pump. I need to up the water current in my 90gal and have seen this pump for sale and wanted to know if anyone has used one or have seen one in use. Is it worth $400 big one or not?

2. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Some people like them but I didn't. I bought one when they first came out and the motor block on the outside was so hot that you wouldn't want to touch it for more than a few seconds. The motor also made a buzzing sound at full speed. The only plus for me was that it looked better from inside the tank but that was about it.

The flow pattern seem to be wider than a Tunze Turbelle stream pump but it doesn't shoot as far. At least it didn't appear to be when I compared it to a Tunze in a 4ft and 6ft tank. With the Vortech, it seamed to slow down quite a bit after 2-3ft. Whereas the Tunze, you can a lot more polyps moving at the end of the tank. It's not the most scientific test but that's what I noticed the most when comparing the two.

I think Ecotech has most of the kinks worked out by now. They have good support and they stand by their products. But for me, I'd rather have Tunze products. Just do some more research and go with your gut feeling. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

3. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I also chose Tunze because they can be pointed in different directions..
    Vortecs can only go straight ahead.
    It is also hard to find a Tunze owner who is unhappy with their support.
    eins