1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Eco Rox vs Marco Rock

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anna, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    "Eco Rox" box is 16" for size reference:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Marco Rock:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Marco rock was a lot nicer looking.  The Eco Rox, I got the exact sizes I asked for, zero breakage, and it stacks well due to having a nice flat side on most pieces.  It definitely looks like base rock, but once I get some corals on there, I think I'll be really happy with it.

2. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, the Marco looks a little bit nicer, but probably once the eco rox gets some coraline on it, the difference will be minimized. How do the compare price-wise? What are each made out of?

3. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Both are dry LR. The price is about the same. I am really happy that I was able to specify size with the Eco Rox, and got what I asked for. It's a tough call which one I would pick if I had to order more right now. Shipping was cheaper for the Eco Rox, and it was a one day ship from MN, which was nice!

4. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I can see advantages to both......and honestly, once a rock has been in a tank for a year and is covered with corals and coraline, who can tell the difference?

5. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's what I was thinking too. I was regretting my decision to try the Eco Rox when I first looked back at the old pictures, but I agree that once it gets covered in corals, I'll never know the difference!

6. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got mine from Reefer rocks...very nice stuff...

eins

7. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Were you happy with your decision to go with the "dead" base rock Bill? I haven't tried it before, and I'm hoping that it was the right choice for my new tank!

8. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Eco rock has three different types I believe. Which type did you get? The bigger shelf rock is probably the plainest but gives the most options when aquascaping. As far as rock goes I'd agree it really does not matter on the function of them. I'd have to say the look will always differ though. But any rock covered in coral looks great no matter what it is. Buyig the dry rock might be the best way to go too. Not having to pay for water weight is a huge plus. If you feel you need more bio diversity just add some uncured rock to the tank.
    Look forward to seeing the aquascape. Both types look great.

9. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I bought their regular Fiji - not the spaghetti or shelf. The rock has really grown on me after having it for a week or so - the more I look at it, the more I like it. It is pretty dense stuff, but overall I feel like it was a pretty good value. I can't wait to get it in the tank, and see what we can do with it!

10. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes....I get lots of compliments on my rock....I had started the tank with some really crappy rock from Reefer madness....I then added the reffer rocks to the top of the old....worked out very well.

eins

11. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    The rock i used to have in my tank was all reefer rocks. It was really awesome rock, I wish capt. jer was still open for business. When I setup the next tank I'd be looking at getting some more from him.

Here's a couple pictures of the stuff I used to have:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If everything goes as planned, I'm going to be in the market for some additional rock when I go with the bigger tank.  Unless I get the opportunity to buy rock from someone, I'm planning on going with dry.            I'm interested in more of a "shelf" rock since my plan it to aquascape into more of a pillar style.  You have posted  pictures of two of the types of dry rock that I would be considering.  It appears to me that the marco rock is less dense and lighter.  I am going to be drilling the rock and using fiberglass rods to hopefully achieve the look I'm after and for stability.  You have both kinds of rock, what do you think for me, Marco?  What was your overall experience with the two venders?  I've heard that communication with marco rocks can be poor. 

And where are your pics??   lol     Don't you know you have a eager audience Anna??  (hint, hint)

13. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do you have a mystery upgrade in progress Robyn?!? /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

I haven't heard great things about Marco Rock lately (a few posts of people on RC who haven't been thrilled with it). You might try ordering a small piece of the shelf from both places, and see which one you like better. I really like that you can specify the size on the Eco Rox FWIW, but I'm sure Marco Rocks would work with you too. I think the density would be different between the regular & shelf rock from either place, but I could be wrong.

I'll try to get some pictures up soon! Things never seem to go as quickly as planned! The stand is still in the garage, needing another coat of poly before it comes inside, and I can't get a good angle to get a decent picture of it out in the garage.

Anna /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif