1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

DSM area reefers, please introduce yourself.

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by Marcus Wood, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Who do we have in the DSM area?  Please introduce yourself.
    I'll start.  My name is Marcus.  I live in Winterset, and have a 300 gallon that houses primarily fish, nems, and a few softies.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great idea marcus, I don't feel like I know too many of the Des Moines area people.

Ryan. Live west of downtown, have a 120 with mostly LPS and a few SPS, a 55 refugium with a peacock mantis shrimp in it, and will soon have a dedicated 30 gallon frag tank.

3. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm excited someone else decided to post in this area!!

My name is Phil and I live west of Ryan [​IMG] (Sherman Hill).
    I have a 70 Gallon (36x18x25) 3 sided starphire that will have saltwater in it as soon as I figure out my CL/flow issue. Eventually it will be primarily SPS. Other specs - T5 lighting (4x39W overdriven on Icecaps), coralife super skimmer 125, sump, aquacontroller 2.
    This is my first tank and I'm super excited to finally get water in it. And much thanks to Ryan, JJ and Brad for all the help you've offered me so far!

4. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My name is Chris.

I live in West Des Moines.

I have a 75 gallon tank.
    I work with fellow RC posters overanalyzer and joyojimbo in West Des Moines.

Hey Phil, any reason you went with the 39w bulb instead of the 54 watt T5s? I have 4 overdriven 54 watts on mine and I've been considering adding two more bulbs.

5. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wouldn't the 39w be the 36" version of T5's and 54w be the 48" version???

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello to all , My Name is Randy I live SE of dsm 27 miles in Knoxville so I guess I count as DSM area.
    I have a 225 GAl SPS tank and a 125 softie and LPS.
    I do feel the DSM area people should get some stuff going, weather it is group purchases, or..?

7. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi I am Joel. I am north of Boone about 10 miles. 90 Gallon Reef, 55 Agressive, 55 Frag/fuge and 30 fuge/sump. Also have a 55 Discus/Synadontis/Royal, Golden Nugget and Rhino Plecos as well as a 55 Angel tank. I will post in Ryans thread about doing something.

8. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks mwood - that's correct, the 39W are 36" bulbs.

and tibbs we'll have to see how SPS does with my current lighting - I have been considering adding 2 more normally driven T5s and put the actinic's on those. (If I can fit them I might just do VHOs for actinic, heard the T5 actinic hasn't caught up with the VHOs lookswise yet). Or I guess I could sell 1 of my Icecap 430's and upgrade to an icecap 660 and overdrive everything if I went with T5s....hopefully my fish like to wear sunglasses as much as I do!

9. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I would definitely be up for something sometime.

10. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wayne, southside- 125 gallon sps,lps tank with 33 gallon sump. I've met Ryan and Randy, i agree we need to do something. I was thinking of buying some fish from Dr. foster and Smith in a little bit. Later wayne

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A group buy from DFS would be a good idea. I'd like to pick up a fish or two.

12. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The bad thing about getting fish is i need to setup my 29 gallon as a QT, and i dont have a cheap filter for it. I hate to buy them and have another outbreak of ich. So maybe this weekend i do a water change and setup the 29. If any of you local DSM reefers have a cheap filter for sell let me know..

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hey, name is Jerry.  Live in Pleasant Hill.  210 with about 90% SPS, and on the move to 100%.  Just need to convince the wife to let me give away a few more things.

14. nielsen2773

nielsen2773 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hey guys,My name is Ryan.I live in Ankeny 90 gallon reef sps and a few lps a few fish a 100 gallon sump and chiller.I like ice cream playing on the jungle gym and watching  tom and jerry.Thanks

15. mnballard

mnballard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My name is Matt and I Live in Altoona.  I've been slowly constructing my 120 gallon in wall setup for about a year now.  My son Levi (12) just set up a 55 gallon we found online and he is going to set up a FOWLR tank in his bedroom, just putting the water in it this weekend.  He has been saving his money for over a year to do a Discus tank but decided to do saltwater with his dad instead [​IMG]

16. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am Ryan (guess this post makes me Ryan v3.0?). I am in Altoona for at least the next 6 months. I have a 47 gallon tall "cube" that currently houses shrooms, palys, zoas, and xenia along with a false perc, lawnmower blenny, coral beauty angel and a peppermint shrimp. And of course the CUC.

I am currently starting the design face of my replacement tank. I don't really want bigger as much as I want longer to give the fish more horizontal space to swim.
    When I am not working on my tank, I spend as much time as possible on 2 wheels whether it be bicycle or one of my motorcycles.
    And I love good beer.

17. Rachael

Rachael Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am so late posting in here! I am Rachael, I live just east of Phil in Sherman Hill :p . I have a 75g reef tank and a 30g refugium with five onyx clowns, a yellow tang, a female green mandarin, a golden headed sleeper goby, at least one peppermint shrimp and the remnants of an SPS empire. Kidding, it looked like hell back then too, but this time it's an accident. I've had a saltwater tank for just over 5 years and finally I've killed all the xenia and kenya tree I started out with, so this winter is a fresh start for my tank.

Like Ryan #3, I also love good beer, as long as what you mean by "good beer" is "dark beer".

18. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh...I like good dark beer too (don't let my lager drinking at the Haus fool ya!). I had not had anything to eat all day and dark beer goes straight to my head without food in me. of course I should have switched after the ghoulash...

19. Nykademus

Nykademus Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

I am Jeremy. I live SE of Des Moines in Carlisle. The current system is a 90g RR with a 55g sump in the basement. 260w PC lighting (will be upgraded soon), ASM skimmer w/fishing line mod. I have plans to add a 75-100 gallon rubbermaid prop tank in the near future as well. I am a huge Bears fan!! (yes, I know we need a quarterback......thank you), I spend a lot of time outdoors during warmer months and I read a lot.

I like teddy bears and rainbows.... and dark beer. I'm kidding. But no, seriously.

20. acidlittle

Beaverdale
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I am Josh, I will be moving to Ashley Square in about a month...that's right by merle hay behind the dahls.
    I just tore down my 75gal and now am only running a 24gal nanooooooooo with the 150w MH.  Want to change to a 120rr this summer.
    I am also hated by all for working at Petco!