1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Dry Rock

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deleted member 46, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My rock just got here from MarcoRocks.  I must say after being somewhat displease by the wait I'm glad I did.  [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Nice, what ya got 80+lbs there?

3. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Very close I ordered 75 I did not weight it though.

4. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    looks like nice rock! Are they caught up on supply now?

5. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, they are caught up as far as I know. I ordered this rock on back order.

6. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks like nice rock.

--AJ

7. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How long do you have to cure dry rock before it's useable? A couple months? Do you seed the rock with real rock to get algae and bacteria growing?

8. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By h2so4hurts on 01/16/2009 09:25 AM
    How long do you have to cure dry rock before it's useable? A couple months? Do you seed the rock with real rock to get algae and bacteria growing?
    Well it depends on how you'd like to cure it.  I put it in an rodi bath yesterday and blew a bunch of junk off it.  Today I'm putting most of it in a tub with 1.022 saltwater.  To this I'm adding a capfull of pure ammonia.  Once the ammonia goes down to zero I'll add another 2ml of ammonia to see if the bacteria will process it in a day.  Once it can do this I'll wait two weeks and check my nitrates and nitrites.  I'm guessing the proccess will take 4-5 weeks.  I'll also have to check PO4.

9. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do you have any tank water or live sand you could throw in to help speed up the process?

10. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Nice man! Looks like it was worth the wait too me. Nice STUFF!

11. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Wow, that is some nice looking rock for sure.

-JB

12. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    How long do you have to cure dry rock before it's useable? A couple months? Do you seed the rock with real rock to get algae and bacteria growing? I've never heard of curing dry rock unless it's home made.  This looks like dead rock that was once alive.
    If it was clean, I would toss it right in the sump/display and start seeding with live rock and sand.
    Just my $.02 worth.
    -E

13. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By llebcire on 02/22/2009 05:56 PM

How long do you have to cure dry rock before it's useable? A couple months? Do you seed the rock with real rock to get algae and bacteria growing? I've never heard of curing dry rock unless it's home made.  This looks like dead rock that was once alive.
    If it was clean, I would toss it right in the sump/display and start seeding with live rock and sand.
    Just my $.02 worth.
    -E
    Quoting myself, I did go to the Marco Rock website and see where they suggest curing the rock.  While I see their point, I still wouldn't cure it myself if the rock appears clean and does well in a quick dip of a bath to remove any obvious debris.
    But - this isn't the point of the thread!
    That is some great looking rock and will certainly look nice once it grows in!  I like the uniformity of the pieces!
    My rock always seems to be a hodge podge [​IMG]
    -Eric

14. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    That dose look like some sweet rock!! It looks a lot like my bali rock how much did it cost for 75lb?

15. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

Got this rock in a tank yet?

If not - what's your plan?  Tank/setup etc?

16. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    I am going to order some of this rock for the seahorse tank i will be seting up soon. Just wondering what type you ordered Wolfe1?
    -Bill