1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Dry rock vendors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xroads, Dec 16, 2008.

1. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    It doesnt sound like bulk reef supply is ever going to get their dry rock back in.  Does anyone have a good experience with other dry rock vendors?
    Thx
    Craig

2. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It seems that all of the suppliers sources have dried up (pun intended)

VVolf is having trouble getting good quality dry rock also. he odered some dry base rock and it was terrible.

To bad it went away...it was an incredible value comared to live rock.

Bill

3. jwess

jwess

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Craig,
    Lets make it a club event and we'll make our own and build you a spectacular reefscape. We'll throw the rock in the river to let it cure and then powerwash the crap out of it in a couple of weeks. Im only saying this becuause I wonder if it will really work. LOL . Ive been thinking of doing just thant to make my own reefscape.
    Josh

4. SWaquariast

SWaquariast New User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've been in Aquatic Environments recently and they always have a good small supply in. Some is just dried out live rock from there own tank.

5. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I wouldn't suggest making rock and curing it a river, just on the basis that it's two completely different types of water and bacterias, i remember reading about it on one of the rock threads but can't remember the whole deal.

6. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I think Jwess was referring to the process of letting the salt leech from the rock, i think it could be done in a river but who knows what else could leech into the rock. Making rock is totally doable although the last stuff we made got all crumbly after time, i am sure there are better recipes by now. Craig, have you tried marcorocks.com?

7. jwess

jwess

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No, I was thinking of DIY and letting it cure in ever running river water.

8. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I ordered some florida rock from marco rocks. Not very happy with it but it is what I ordered. I also ordered 75 lbs of figi rock from Marco rocks that I am still waiting on. I'm sure it will be better. Hopefully soon it will come in. He updated his site on the 2nd that it would be any day. That was 2 weeks ago.

I talked to a guy this weekend that used hydraulic cement to make rocks and attach rocks together. He said he didn't have any issues after a short time. You could put DIY rocks in a river to lower the ph. You'd need to bleach them afterwards to kill off everything in them though.

9. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I am not really too big on the DIY rocks, Ihave heard alot of neg stuff about marco rocks so I think I will stay away from them

I guess for now I will use what I have & wait for a getting out of hobby sale

10. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am with you...I have yet to see any DIY rocks that I would use in my tank...I think its a good project for some people who dont mind that look.

11. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You could drive out here to UT and collect it yourself about 30 miles west of Salt Lake City. Its the oddest damn thing, you just go pick it up in the desert. If your interested in a two day round trip I would be happy to take you out to where it is collected.

do a search for lake bonneville tufa rock

12. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Billy, how about you ship some back? /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif