1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Drilling tanks

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by Faj, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Faj

Faj Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Just looking for some advice. My tank is getting crowded and I am looking to purchase a 50 gallon tank. Does anyone know anyone around the des moines area that drills tanks?

Thanks,

Brian

2. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    They are easy to drill. Buy the correct size bit off of ebay or at glass-holes.com. Glass-Holes has a video and the instructions you need. Feel free to ask myself or others questions, many of us have done it.

3. Faj

Faj Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks!  I am a bit of a do-it-yourselfer so maybe I will give it a spin.  If anyone has any tips to avoid a nightmare I am all ears.

4. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Go slow and keep it wet. The tips on galss-holes will get you there, they even have a video.

5. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Glass-holes.com is a very good site to order anything you need to drill. They also send candy with your order. You can order your hole saw and your bulkhead in one shot.

As for tips. Make sure you get putty to circle around where you are drilling and fill it with water to keep the area wet. Hold the drill steady and level because it will jump and move around at first since there's no pilot on the hole bit. And let the weight of the drill be the most amount of pressure on the glass all the way through. If you go too fast towards the end, you will chip the glass when the drill start breaking through the glass.

6. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    oh y eah, make sure the tank isn't tempered, you can check out videos on what happens if the glass is tempered.

7. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Drill, Drill , it 's not that bad. Good advice you got there, I cannot state enough let the drill do the work.

8. Faj

Faj Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys.  This all makes sense.  Checked out glass-holes and I will give them a try.

9. cowdust9

cowdust9 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i know jj knows how to drill tanks

10. xmasia

xmasia Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ive drilled tanks dont start with the bit level mark your hole duck tape the other side use putty for a dam and start the the hole saw at an angle where its cutting one side of the hole first after you get the groove started level the saw out if you dont do this then your bit will walk around that is if you using a hand held drill. go buy an old 10g tank of cl and make a few practice holes not to many as the bit will loose its cutting edge.good luck post pics or vid