1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Drilling Overflows

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Don, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Don

Don

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I just bought a 125g that will need overflows. I would rather not use a siphon style overflow and have done a lot of research on proper tank drilling (no drilling tempered glass). My question is does anyone know where the best place to get a good hole saw for cutting glass. Some people said just get a cheap one on ebay others say don't go cheap but an expensive one. I don't for see a lot of use out of it besides this.
    Or does anyone have one they want to sell or rent?
    Or know someone who does tank drilling.
    I live in Strawberry Point but work in Waterloo and I don't go to Cedar Rapids area as much as I use to.
    Also any recommendations on a sump size for a 125. I wanted to use a 55 i have now but not enough room to work on it, only about 5" of space from top of sump to bottom of tank. I would like to go as large as possible, didn't know what others were using.
    Thanks
    Don

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    glassholes.com. or I have a bit here for a 1 inch bulkhead, believe its a 1 3/4 inch bit. Ide be glad to let you use it. Im also using a 20 long sump on my 125, with a 14 gallon refugium that drains into the return chamber of the sump.

3. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hey don Welcome to the club

You could check with Jason glaspie69 , he has drilled a lot of tanks

He lives in Independence

Also you should come to the waterloo area christmas party on dec 5

4. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a 3" bit that you can use, but that's probably much larger than you need.

--AJ

5. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    here is where I order my hole saws from. I am getting ready to order some new ones.
    http://www.thk.hk

6. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    2 1.5" overflows should work well on the 125 its what i have on mine and do just fine. :) i got my hole saw from ebay, but would suggest just getting the whole kit and kaboodle from glass holes. they give you the bulkheads, saw, overflow box, and vented elbows out the back for a pretty decent price.

7. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Just for common knowledge you do realize you can NOT drill the bottom of that 125 as it WILL shatter into millions of beautiful little pieces of glass, stick with tapping the back side.

8. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good to know...and drilling tempered glass never turns out good.  Here's a pic of my sump that I was drilling.  I didn't know it at the time, but it was/is made out of tempered glass.  It's a great way to ruin your day....and your tank.
    [​IMG]

9. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Two 1" drains is all I got on my 180.  But there isn't anything wrong with going bigger too.

10. Don

Don

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah after lots of reading, until i saw a video of someone trying to drill tempered glass, I didn't realize how bad it was. That is one thing I don't want to do with my tank.

I was thinking about going with two 1" overflows on the back of the tank at opposite ends. For a sump/refugium I was thinking about using a couple small tanks that would fit in the stand and plumbing them with bypasses so I can work on a part of the system without shutting the whole thing down.

Any suggestions, tips and tricks are welcomed.This is my first serious tank build/setup and I would like to do it right the first time.

And AJ, that picture has been giving me nightmares.

11. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Drilling isn't that bad, just as long as you are not trying to drill tempered glass. I have done about 20 holes. And the only ones that didn't drill right is tempered.

12. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Troy is right, don't let the pic intimidate you. I don't have much experience with this, but I've been told that the thicker the glass, the easier they are to drill. Here's a link to our Wiki which has some guidance to determining if your glass is tempered or not. http://www.greateriowareefsociety.org/Resources/GIRSWiki/tabid/163/Default.aspx?topic=Tempered+Glass All along I suspected my glass as being tempered as it was a 75 gallon tank and only 1/4" thick. Non-tempered glass would have been 3/8" thick. I didn't know enough when I bought the tank to check for that. Another lesson that I learned at the University of Hard Knocks. With my luck, I feel like I'm in their graduate program. ;-)

Anyone out there have a 125 that they have drilled? How thick is the glass? I bet it's going the be 1/2" glass given the 6 foot span.

Also remember to drill the hole for the size of the bulkhead, not the size of the overflow that you need. If you want 1" overflows, you probably need to drill at least 1 1/2" if not larger (depending on the type and material of the bulkheads)

Good luck!

--AJ