1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

dragonfaced pipe fish are breeding

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wolfman1973, Mar 15, 2009.

1. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]just thought i would share a little update on my dragonfaced pipe fish i got about a month ago. i put them in my 90 gal mixed reef and the power heads and the bubble tip anemones i was concerned with but am no longer. all the fish leave them alone and they are for sure a pair!! they have been doing a dance with each other every day when the lights come on and now the male is holding eggs. they have not takin any frozen but seem to be doing just fine on the pods they find while hunting. there is not that much info on them and they say it is hard to sex them but i have seen a blue spot with little orange clasper type things on the male rite above were he is holding eggs and no such colorings on the female.they have been very interesting to observe and seem to be very hardy

2. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Man that is awesome! If everything goes well i would be interested in buying some of the young ones.

-Bill

3. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    every thing i have read has said that no one has ever been able to raise the young.but they breed several times a year and who knows,maybe some make it to the sump.

4. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    If they are anything like seahorses the brood will be the size of newpaper print.
    I was able the get seahorses to breed but the brood was too small to survive any type of filtration.

5. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow, that's awesome. Those are some cool looking animals.