1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Dr Fosters Order - Again!

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by jtesdall, Oct 31, 2008.

1. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Wouldn't you know it! I went to test Nitrates last night and my kit was out So it is time to gt a new one and since Seachem has lowered their prices so much I going to get pH and Alk as well. Does anyone else want to share shipping?

2. cowdust9

cowdust9 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    cool i want an aqua lifter

3. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +614 / 2 / -0
    You know, I noticed the same thing when I did a Nitrate test yesterday.  The bottle appears pretty low.  Not sure, how many tests are left though.  The test kits are on a one week sale, ending tomorrow at midnight.  I'd be interested in the API Nitrate test kit (sale price $4.89), if there is enough on the order so that we don't end up spending more on the order than buying locally.

4. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, I will ask this then - what can I use to absorb phosphates that they sell?

5. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Phosphates are removed three ways: 1. Macro Algae (chaeto) 2. Water changes with 0 TDS RO/DI water 3. GFO (Granular Ferric Oxide) preferably running in a phosphate reactor.
    #3 will cost you about $55 dollars at DFS if you have a small power head. Add about $13 dollars for a small MJ if not

6. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Jeanette, I would HIGHLY recomend spending the extra $5 on the Seachem Nitrate test kit. It does both Nitrite and Nitrate and there is no comparison to readability.
    John, If the Aqualifter is for an overflow I would recommend getting two as cheap as they are. I have 5 aqualifters and when one starts to go out it is a major deal and you need to get it switched. Waiting to get a new one is not an option at that point. I have had to switch out these pumps numerous times which is ahy I alwasy have two spares. DFS also sells replacement diaphram kits for $3 which work very well. I will plan on ordering Sunday night with folks final items.

7. cowdust9

cowdust9 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok get two then sir

8. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +614 / 2 / -0
    What's an aqualifter??  I looked on DFS and couldn't find them.  Just curious..

9. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Usually they are for non-drilled tanks for over the back overflows. They are a reverse air pump, instead of blowing they suck. This is to make sure you always suck the air bubbles out of your overflow siphon so you don't lose siphon and overflow your floor.
    Uh oh, I can't find it either on the web site, but I have the item # from the catalog it still doesn't come up. Probably have to call them. I met the manufacturer at Dr Fosters this summer so I can't believe they don't carry them anymore.

10. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    They just changed the item #, here it is: CD-16904. It shows up at the bottom of the page for the CPR overflow. And they still have the replacement diaphragms so I got three of those. So I am set. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif

11. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Jeanette, do you want to stay with API or move to Seachem?

12. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +614 / 2 / -0
    Joel - I think I'll stay with the API nitrate test kit, yet this time.  I've got the SeaChem magnesium kit coming.  So that will give me another opportunity to try SeaChem. 

13. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    OK, I have Jeanette for an API Nitrate and John for 2-Aqualifters. I am going to order tonight.
    Brandon do you want anything? I see Dave have a phoshate reactor for a good price.

14. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No, don't need anything.  i was just PMing dave on the phosphate reactor, I think I am going to take his seems like a good price and its ready to go!

15. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Order Placed