1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

dosing calculator on rc, need help here.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by seanndenise1, Dec 16, 2007.

1. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i want to get my magnesium up to recommended levels.
    my calcium is at 450 and reccomended level is 3x calcium.
    right now my magnesium is at 960 and i need to get it to 1350.
    i can raise it by 100ppm a day.
    im using epsom salt.
    when i use the calculator i get that im supposed to use 64.2 ouces for 125 gallons of water, which is roughly what i figure i have after taking away for rock and adding for my sump water.
    here a link to the reef tank calculator on reef central, see what you come up with. http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    whats my water at shawn oh wait u havent  tested my water  lol j/k[​IMG]

3. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sean

I would not use epsom salts only.....epsom salts ar magnesium Sulfate and if you use only the epsom salts you run a good risk of getting to much Sulfate in your system....that is not good!

It should be 7 1/4 cups a magnesium chloride and 3/4 cup epsom salts to 1 gallon of water. That is the formula for a good balanced magnesium supplement.

Hope that helps....

Eins

4. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    eins
    ive really been looking to find the magnesium chloride hexahydrate to no avail.
    the stuff is nowhere to be found.
    any ideas where i can get some at?
    oh and isnt the formula 7-1/4 epsom 3/4 mag chloride?
    i figure you have a typo up there.
    i do want to do the new twopart solution with the addition of the mag chloride but cant find it.
    ive looked on twopart website and dont see it anywhere, maybe i dont know what im looking at.
    thanks for the reply.
    UPDATE= 5 minutes later
    LOL, nevermind i found the mag chloride on twoparts website.

looks like my quest for more magnesium in my tank will be set back another week or so.

5. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actually I was wrong...here is the formula for using both parts
    These come from Rany Farleys column and directions from 2 part solutions
    This is defintely the one to use!

Recipe #2, Part 3A

Dissolve Epsom salts (3 cups) and magnesium chloride hexahydrate (5 cups) in enough purified freshwater to make 1 gallon total volume. There will likely be a precipitate that forms even if you fully dissolve both ingredients separately. That precipitate is calcium sulfate (calcium as an impurity in the magnesium chloride and sulfate from the Epsom salts). It is fine and appropriate to dose the precipitate along with the remainder of the fluid by shaking it up before dosing.

This solution is added much less frequently than the other two parts. Each time you finish adding a gallon of both parts of Recipe #2, add 305 mL (1 ¼ cups) of this stock solution. You can add it all at once or over time as you choose, depending on the aquarium's size and set up. Add it to a high flow area, preferably a sump. In a very small aquarium, or one without a sump, I suggest adding it slowly.

The first time it's added, I recommend adding just a small portion and making sure there isn't any problem (such as corals closing up due to stress) before adding the remainder. Make sure corals and other organisms don't get blasted with locally high concentrations of the main ingredients or impurities, or else they may become stressed. This solution contains about 47,000 ppm magnesium, 70,000 ppm sulfate and 86,000 ppm chloride.

eins

6. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    eins

ok cool thanks alot.

7. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm, why am i using the 7 1/4 mag to 3/4 epson salt recipe? I must need to do more research....i could have sworn i was using the right one.