1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Does anybody own a LED based fixture?

Discussion in 'Quad Cities Area' started by David, Jun 23, 2009.

1. David

David Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My tank is right on the edge as far as heat problems go.  I'm constantly running into problems because of the large amounts of metal halide lights I have.  I would like to build a LED based fixture, and maybe design a DIY reef controller (I'm an embedded systems engineer as far as making a living goes), but I really need to see an existing fixture to imitate because I don't want to have to buy all the spectrum analysis equipment it would take to test the system or go through multiple instances of diodes and lenses until I get the right mix.
    The markup on the fixtures that are on the market is huge, I'm confident I can build one for scratch for less than the cost of my halide systems.  Plus, I have a hood and my lights are built in and I don't really want to get rid of it to use a fixture.  Anyway... would be a fun DIY project don't you think?
    David

2. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think Rick, (aka B-Rad) was thinking of doing some LED thing.

I thought about getting a panel from Menards, it's not very big, but it was only 25 bucks to try on my sump, but they go by volts instead of watts on the package. I no nearly nothing about electrical, so I didn't get it.

Joe, (Greenonion) told me there's a new LED lighting out that has a knob so you can control the kelvin rating as you wish through out the day.

Cyberjester has a solaris, but it's collecting dust. I believe he siad it wasn't strong enough for some of his sps.

3. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    want to try to make your own LED here ya go full list or pieces and everything good build thread  DIY LED's
    I wanted to do it but can't bring myself to try haha i get great ideas but lack ambition to try them and finish :)

4. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I believe that CyberJester has a Solaris unit...but didn't see good growth from it so he switched back to MH. I was thinking DIY LED for a while too, but when I heard that, I started to rethink things. Maybe LEDs are just not ready for primetime yet.

--AJ

5. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I believe that CyberJester has a Solaris unit...but didn't see good growth from it so he switched back to MH. I was thinking DIY LED for a while too, but when I heard that, I started to rethink things. Maybe LEDs are just not ready for primetime yet.

--AJ

6. rockinsmall

rockinsmall Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have a friend that tried the LED thing and spent a ton on them, slightly more than the nice halide he was wanting... anyways. the led thing turned out to be worthless and useless... i suggest adding a fun and not running lights as often.... i have a big ol house fan next to my 12g nano cube with 150w halide ... also.. i had to ditch the eater immediately. now my tank went from 88 degrees and sitting pretty at 78...

7. David

David Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm sorry to hear that people have tried LED's and not had success with them. I'm still pretty excited about building a set with the information I got from that thread but now I'll have to do more research to make sure it will be worth the money.

8. David

David Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey, btw, if anybody sees CyberJester ask him if he'd be interested in selling his Solaris, I'd be interested in experimenting with it.

9. David

David Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    After re-reading "http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/10/review/view" and parting out the components I'm pretty confident at this point I'm going to build one of these. I'm only using 3x150w MH's right now and I know I can build a fixture that will blow them away for less than the cost of a bulb replacement and it will save me the cost of a chiller. I'm probably going to start with a single panel and see where things go from there. Even if CyberJester sells me his fixture I'll make a 24" for my quarantine tank.