1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Do I need to run a filter sock?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gb387, Jun 26, 2009.

1. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just that - Do I NEED to run a filter sock or any other mechanical filtration?  Won't my skimmer do most of the work?  Can I just use the filter sock say once a week to do a weekly cleaning?  Any thoughts?

2. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, If it were me I would definitely use some form of mechanical filtration!
    Even the best skimmers still don't get it all!

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I am getting ready to add a mechanical filter. I was looking at a marineland magnum cause it has a mechanical filter& a place for carbon as well.

It will polish the water & make it extra clear. The clearer the water the better light peneration

4. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i'm in need of one i think so, i have alot of junk that settles to the bottom of my sump, and i'm really not sure how to get it all out besides bringing in my 16g shop vac and making adapters to try and fit in there haha. the syphon tube wont pick it up hardly dont get enough suction as low as it sits. i would definatly add a sock if i were your brandon. my next setup will have one for sure

5. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey, I have two extra magnums and 1 extra case and some other stuff that comes with the bundle they had.

Give me a few days to go over what I have and I'll see if you guys want any of it.

When I was doing freshwater I only used 350's on my tanks. Before I made my sump in October, my salt water tank ran for two months curing with 3 magnums.

6. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

For some reason editing, quoting, and the text box doesn't work for me. Only the quick reply.

7. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Magnum 350's and HOT Magnums are the GREAt filters. I have used the same ones for about 15 years now. They just keep on cleaning.
    The thing to remember is that on our reefs these need to be cleaned often, weekly at the minimum. IMO filter socks are easier to clean so I just use the Magnum (HOT's mostly) to run carbon and polish the water from time to time.
    So my vote is to run the socks because they are easier to swap out for cleaning.

8. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    i use socks on my sytems and I have extras so when there dirty I just swap them out and throw them in the washing machine and wash them with no soap 2 times rince off then let dry and good to go. been doing this for over a year with no problems and my water is alot cleaner since I added them

9. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the replys guys - I will keep using the filter socks on my new set up.

10. MULE

MULE Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wait a minute,what about all the cool stuff the sock will catch and remove?I have a 20 long with a false wall -over flow .When I look into  the 2 compartments, I see alot of squirts,pods , feather dusters and baby snails.I'd like to use a sock on the tank I'm building but I really like the cool little things that no one else notices.Would not say,once a week polishing with a canister be better ?Right now I do use floss ,but only when I turkey bast the tank.