1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

do i need to add reef add trace elements in my reef tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fmsill, Aug 21, 2009.

1. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I was jus wondering if anyone out their adds suplements such as stronium, iodine etc. I have some green mushroom polyps that look aweful and was wondering if its a lack of trace elements. My alkalinity is 10, my calcium is at 420 and magnesium is 1320. To keep these levels in check. Im useing the two part kit from bulk reef supply which adds calcium, alkalinity and magnesium. The tank is a 210 and i do a 20% water change every two weeks. I know a person useing mydor number seven which has a mix of trace elements in it, this persons tank looks great. What does everyone else use if anything? Any input would be appreciated!
    Thanks Brian

2. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i did at one time then my **** started dieing so i stopped :) if that is any help :)

3. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to hear that. Any feeback is great

4. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How bright are your lights?

My mushrooms didn't look all that great until I moved them low in my tank and they look a lot better and spread out more.

5. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I have 3 400 watt metal halides hanging above the tank. I tried moving them to the bottom but it didnt seem to help.

6. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    With 3 400 watts I can see why.

Do you have a sump or fuge that's not as bright?

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By snowman82 on 08/21/2009 03:45 PM
    i did at one time then my **** started dieing so i stopped :) if that is any help :)
    Really!? I would say I had the opposite experience. I dosed as per directed weekly with my water changes. I had great PE and all my lps seemed to thrive after I began using trace elements.

8. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Just wondering what you were useing? I do have a fuge i can put them in

9. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i think i went a little overboard on the iodine.

10. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A good rule of thumb is do not dose what you cannot test. Trace elements are good for our tanks but it gets replenished with water changes. I would also like to add that every tank is unique, just because it works in one tank doesn't mean it will work in another.

11. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Yea i would agree with you. Thats why ive been a little leary abought adding anything

12. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    ^
    Well put. Every book I read on trace elements says the same thing. Bottles that say they're trace elements are rarely ever worth what they're sold for. It's just just something hyped up to sell to reefers. All the "experts" say they should start selling bottles of "magic potion" for reef tanks to make a ton of money. Your'e better off keeping the other basic levels in check and feed some phyto, oyster eggs, marine snow, or some other coral food...