1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

DIY skimmer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  2. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    or you can just buy this bad boy

http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=985

3. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Skip the aquacave one and go with this!

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SQ-OCT-PK200&Category_Code=reefflo
    You're going to have $300 in the pump alone plus the price of the tanks and everything else.  I bet you'll be close to the price on this by the time you're done.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By got2lb on 12/02/2007 7:14 PM
    I bet you'll be close to the price on this by the time you're done.
    A tank like that might run $200-$250, tops.  That leaves $300-$350 for pvc and scrap acrylic.  I say go for it, Randy.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I  agree ryan,   we use this supplyer where i work, I think i can buy it for under 100.

I found a artical on skimmers relating to air flow, bubble size , reaction chamber size and time in the reaction chamber.
    I  am going to run the numbers , but my gut feel is this size tank and that pump would kick butt.
    I want to stock my tank a little more, and I think the skimmer companys over rate there skimmers a little too much.
     I'll  post in a few days what i decide.

6. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I am researching the same project for when I move.

The Reefflo is a very strong skimmer. Nearly any skimmer with the Orca/Dart pump running it should kick butt.

The tank that was linked to itself is a foot taller than the Reefflo. It would make a much larger skimmer. Frankly I think the Reeflo is kinda of a waste of that pump but the one catch for a tank of that size is you would probably be better off running an Alita with it. That and a 5" neck is a tad on the small side.

Go for it. It is more fun to build stuff.

7. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you build it they will come Randy. I say go for it. Then make me one!!!!!!!

8. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I'm not good at DIY I just assume plug it in and have it work good out of the box! I like messing around with the stuff. Just not good with it! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I think the dart NW might actually be enough for that size of tank. If you notice on the reeflo skimmer it says it's restricted in order to run that skimmer. There is also a bigger model the 250 that also runs on the dart NW. http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SQ-OCT-PK&Category_Code=reefflo

They are also in the process of making another reeflo skimmer that will be bigger yet but I've heard rumors that won't be a dart it will actually be a hammerhead or something bigger.

It would definately be a BADASS skimmer though if you got it working right! How would you go about making a neck and a collection cup for it?

9. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Anyone know what pump JJ's skimmer runs on? His has to be close to the size of that tank.

10. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I believe that it was the old Sequence 3600. Spazz original was using the Reeflo pumps but he burnt up some the motors and started using the "1000" series Sequence. Better quailty motor.

Anyway like I said its hard to make a bad skimmer with these but there is good amount of refinement past what the Reefflo skimmers did.

11. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I was also considering moding a Laguna as they can now beat a dart with it.
    http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1094749

12. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By got2lb on 12/03/2007 5:23 PM
    Anyone know what pump JJ's skimmer runs on? His has to be close to the size of that tank.It's a Sequence Dart with the older Baldor motor and not the newer A.O. Smith motor.

13. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Posted By slovan on 12/03/2007 6:08 PM
    Posted By got2lb on 12/03/2007 5:23 PM
    Anyone know what pump JJ's skimmer runs on? His has to be close to the size of that tank.It's a Sequence Dart with the older Baldor motor and not the newer A.O. Smith motor.
    That's what I was thinking it was.  I knew SPAZZ was pretty much snatching up every old dart with the baldor motors that hit the selling board on RC.

14. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yep, the Baldor motors can hold up to the needlewheel he puts on them. But for Randy's application, a Sequence Orca should be just as nice.

15. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    The grey finned motor right?

That's what I am getting at. For the RF skimmers they struck a balance. They use the cheaper A.O. Smith motor on the new Darts and the Orca NW. In order to keep them from burning out there not quite aggressive or as efficient as they could be.

God I am turning into a skimmer nerd.

16. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    In a nutshell

Reefflo great skimmer could be better. Orca NW... big pump not pushed very far.

If I buy instead of build I'll still probably get one.

And then mod it/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

17. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By covey on 12/03/2007 7:56 PM
    The grey finned motor right?
    That's what I am getting at. For the RF skimmers they struck a balance. They use the cheaper A.O. Smith motor on the new Darts and the Orca NW. In order to keep them from burning out there not quite aggressive or as efficient as they could be.
    God I am turning into a skimmer nerd.
    Yep, the grey ones and not the black.

Turning into a skimmer nerd?  I though you were already one! [​IMG]  J/K, you are the GIRS resident expert on skimmers...

18. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Thanks...hehe..

Yep
    A.O. Smith Orca NW on Reefflo 120-170W at 2250lph of air. 12" dia at 32" tall

JJ's spazz built Volcano 180W or so at 3600lph of air or BETTER running a 18" dia 72" tall skimmer.

Basically not all "Darts" are created equal.

19. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No, it's a bummer that they have more potential and it's not being used. Scott also makes his own needlewheel so it may not be an apples to apples comparison. I remember last year when he was in DSM installing JJ's skimmer, he brought a new needlewheel impeller from Sequence with him. He thought they were junk. There must be some truth to it if his version is killing the Sequence version of a needlewheel pump.

20. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Here's some new pumps for you COVEY!

Reeflo Gold line! http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1262033

For how much they cost they must have some gold in them! But the new Reeflo Dart Gold is using the Baldor motors again!  Just gotta get Spazz to send you a NW for it! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif