1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

DIY Rock - August 29th Meeting

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by Armydog, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    @D007@D007 what is your recipe?

2. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    Calcium carbonate rock, sand, cement, water. Forgot the ratios as it was 3-4yrs ago, have it in a notebook somewhere. Takes a couple batches to get just the right consistency so it's not too dense or too weak. Salt can weaken cement so I didn't want that in the mix. Curing let's Ph come down as it will Leach and raise the Ph of the water quite a bit.

3. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0

uploadfromtaptalk1442449352005.jpg
    [​IMG]

Pretty much used the garf recipe with a couple of modifications. Good stuff

4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    So is that crushed coral or something else?
    I thought the purpose of the salt was to create voids for porosity, which I suppose could weaken the rock as it would be less solid but it would also be more porous. Roger @yankieman@yankieman said you could pour water on the rock and it would run right through it and out the other side, good for anaerobic bacteria

5. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    Yes it will create voids but salt also can weaken concrete (mixed in to the slurry), which aragocrete essentialy is, and expansion and contraction of the salt vs rock can possibly cause micro fractures which can cause breaks when stacks of rocks are piled on top of say an arch or cave.

not sayin it's bad but knowing it can weaken it I chose no salt(don't want 2' of rock come tumbling down cause a base piece split etc ( many of the base pieces I made we're 18-24" across and 12"+ high with arches) Water runs thru mine fairly good without salt and it's strong. Probly slightly less porous and a bit denser due to lack of voids than salt rock tho. Still has lot of surface area for bacteria since it seems more ridged than what I saw posted.

There's lots of variations of recipes which can work, I was just commenting to show a different type/variation, wasn't suggesting the salt method was wrong :)

6. yankieman Well-Known ReefKeeper

Monmouth, IL
    Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I think the ideas are what the demonstration is all about and now maybe with the different recipes we can incorporate both ways into the projects,,

7. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    We have a ton of supply left over too so there's no reason we can't experiment more also!

@D007@D007 what is the calcium carbonate material you used, specifically?