1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

DIY Rock - August 29th Meeting

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by Armydog, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    We hung out for about an hour afterwards (total time for the project was about 30-45 minutes).

The next step for the rock is to wait 48 hours, then remove from mold and soak the rock in RODI for about 4 weeks to dissolve out all the salt and let the pH settle.

Whenever everyone who attended removes their rock from the mold, upload the pics to this album

DSM/Ames DIY Rock 2015-08-29

or just post them here as an attachment

Thanks everyone for coming!

For any other region wanting to do this, the DIY Rock is really simple, fun, and really cheap. If we were to re-use all the sand over and over again and use all of the mix materials we bought, the total cost for making about 150 lb of rock (100 lb cement + 50 lb oyster shells) would be about $35-$40. That's a LOT of rock.

2. wouldtick Well-Known ReefKeeper

waukee
    Ratings:
    +85 / 3 / -0
    It was great meeting. Really cool event. Cant wait to see how much better mine is compared to everyone elses.

3. SGM

SGM Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Good time today. Thanks for putting event on. Got to put some names with some faces.

Thanks for the krak donny and justin.

4. new2salt

Mingo
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Being that I was unable to attend I'm excited to see some pictures of the finished product. It sounds like it was a fun project.

5. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    It's a really easy event to organize

6. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    yea I too am disappointed that I have to wait another 24 hours to see the results! Looks like it was a good time.

7. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Is this the recipe that uses a ton of rock salt and you have to cure for like a month?

8. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    I don't know about a ton, but we added quite a bit. I suppose, the more salt, the more porous the rock.

Yes you have to soak the rock for a month in RODI but that's not necessarily because of the salt, I think that's more the portland cement than anything else.

9. FFrost

Adel
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    Didn't see you put the caves in it. That's cool. Mine is a big lump.

20150831_081503.jpg

20150831_081610.jpg

10. wouldtick Well-Known ReefKeeper

waukee
    Ratings:
    +85 / 3 / -0
    Lump that will look awesome with a zoal colony on it

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  11. glaspie69

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Not sure but it sounds like the rock we made years ago, after a few years it started to crumble. Had a heck of a time since half of it was base in my display. Not saying its the same by any means just a random history moment

12. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    @glaspie69@glaspie69 do you remember the exact mixture you did?

We mixed up the cement, then added a bunch of crushed oyster shells and some reef sand, then the rock salt.

Since the oyster shells are pure calcium, I suppose if you use too much of this it might dissolve over time and erode the structure.

@yankieman@yankieman said he has made a ton of rock using this recipe, maybe he can enlighten us on the long-term viability of the rock?

13. glaspie69

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I couldnt tell you the mixtures, its been a good 10 years or more since we made it. Sounds just like it though. I know we made several batches and tried different mixes and they all basically ended the same, it looked great in the tank and grew coraline great, but over time it just deteriorated.

14. glaspie69

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I forgot to mention this is an awesome project, its pretty fun to play in the mud and hang out with other fish nerds and chat it up, its what this club has been missing for a long time, less net convos and more face to face relationships

15. wouldtick Well-Known ReefKeeper

waukee
    Ratings:
    +85 / 3 / -0
    I should take the time to thank Donnie and Turbo. Donnie, you constantly volunteer to hold events / club meetings. I appreciate it. Turbo, thank you for running around getting all the supplies, researching how to do this and for playing on the computer all day messing with the forum interface. Soon you will be updating this websites interface more frequently than facebook makes changes to their interface.

16. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. yankieman Well-Known ReefKeeper

Monmouth, IL
    Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    As far as I can tell my DIY rock is holding up pretty good after approx 4 years on some of it ,, there is some small pieces that chip away over time when its moved and bumped around ,, I have drilled
    some for plugs and also taken hammer to some to make rubble,,

• Noteworthy! Noteworthy! x 1
    • List
  18. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0

*Donny ;)

19. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    I also have made a ton, with a different recipe, and it is still strong as the day it went into tanks four years ago. adding too much rock salt can weaken it a bit. I don't use shells or rock salt in my recipe and can make some great looking stuff. DIY rock is a fun project for sure!!