1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

DIY Lumenbrites?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bela, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have heard a few people on other sites say they have done DIY lumenbrites but I have gotten no response from them when I ask how. Anybody know of a site or something that explains how to make?

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  3. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    BTW, try including "template" in your Google search and you're likely to find more of what you're looking for.

--AJ

4. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Awesome. Just what I wanted. Thanks for the tip on searching. Didn;t think of that /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

5. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bela if decide to tackle this, go to Menard's or Lowe's and get sky light extension tubes for the sheats, they have 10" and 14" and they are only around $30-$40.

6. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tip. I will have to look around for prices. Think I could make two reflectors out of one tube? As big of a pain as this looks I think I would only do it now if I got to save a boatload of money! LOL

7. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well according to lowes.com they dont sell the stuff anyplace in IA :/

8. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They have some 10"x24" reflective aluminum... all they could tell me over the phone. Least I thought to ask where it was in the store, isle 47 millwork, so I will take a look tonight or tomorrow. Wondering what to cut the stuff with?

9. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    strait tin snips, they can recommend ones there to use i'm sure, they are like scissors. let me know how it works out for ya, need a rivet gun too, and might want to invest in some leather gloves haha. i'm thinking about building one to try and match my lumenmax

10. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Got the leather gloves... that is about it though LOL. This is already sounding like it will be more hassle than it is worth unless someone has a rivet gun to borrow.

And you took the locline I wanted to buy off RC last night snowman!!!! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif

11. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yes yes i did, haha i watch that board regularly, and the rivet guns are kinda cheap just get a hand rivet one. i would have no problem doing them if i could get the design the right size that for me is the hardest

12. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The guy said to go into kinkos (or some copy shop) and blow it up 281% I figure I will see how much that costs (assuming under 5 bucks) and see how big it is. Blowing it up 281% produced the template that the guy used for his reflective material and it looks about the right size.

13. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah i got no copy shop that i know of haha, im in the boonies

14. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    You could copy it in paint or word and print it in multiple sheets...? Some day when I give a try at metal halides I'll try this. I might try making some reflectors for my VHO's, they just have the internal reflectors...

15. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I was thinking of doing that too and then just taping it together or something. can also print on cardstock this way for a little bit of a thicker stencil

16. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Definitely. It won't look as professional while doing it, but I think that fits right in with the whole DIY aspect...

17. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I was printing off some sheets here and figured out that to get the measurement on the actual template to scale you need to increase the image by 224%
    Just thought I would let you all know. That makes them just a HAIR off, and when I say hair it is like .01 inches, so I was fine with that LOL
    Not sure where the 181% came from, but it is definitely 224%
    I suppose that if the measurements listed on the template are wrong, then it would by only 181% blow up needed, but looking at this bigger one (224) it really does look more correct.

18. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is anyone else interested in making these? I ask because the reflective material at lowes is about 29 bucks a sheet (enough to make one 14 inch reflector), but the material can be ordered with enough to make eight reflectors for something like 145 bucks shipped. That is roughly 18 bucks a reflector. Not worth it for me to buy all that if people don;t want to split costs, but saving another 10 bucks per reflector would be great if there was interest. The Lowe's in ames had 3 sheets in stock but they were all samsehd (comes in a box that was totally bashed up). Will try the one in DSM perhaps this weekend.

19. dzabler

dzabler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    just an FYI...Menards does a price match plus 11% off that matched price...i am not sure if we have what you are looking for but i will check tonight when i work.

20. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey that would be really nice. I haven't checked on Menard's basically because it is really tough to look at stuff online prior and every time I am looking for something, nobody seems to understand me, probably because I don't describe it will enough. Like I said the stock tank took me a good 30-45 minutes to find someone who could actually tell me if they carried them or not. The only reason I didn't give up is because AJ confirmed they do have them LOL. I will say that this material is going to be expensive anywhere simply because of the polishing treatment it goes through to get that 95% reflectivity, but another 11% off shouldn't hurt :)