1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? DIY LED took a hit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beckerj3, Oct 3, 2019.

1. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    My cube tank is lit with a Rapid LED DIY kit. It was put together with the help of Matt - Ninja77 about 6 years ago. I've never had a problem with it, until 2 days ago. When the storms went through, we took a short power hit (lights dimmed for a couple of seconds). Now the LED is not functioning fully. (Everything is on a surge control power strip, so not sure why this would have happened).

A few details about the LED. It was a standard DIY kit from Rapid LED. It has 3 drivers. One driver controls the Blues, a 2nd driver controls the whites and a few blues. The 3rd driver controls a Red, Green, and a few ultraviolet LEDs. The LED's driven by the 2nd and 3rd drivers appear to be functioning just fine. Its the blue LEDs driven by the 1st driver. The LEDs are on, but at a very low level - I'll guess 20% at most. (That's what I have the whites turned down to so that its not a totally yellow look). Also the last blue LED in the link is not firing at all.

Do I just toss and get a new fixture (something I had been contemplating - but having to make a quick decision on a new fixture is not very appealing to me)? Is there any easy way to confirm if its just a driver that needs replaced? Anyone have any meanwell drivers sitting around gathering dust??

Thoughts????

2. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    If the drivers are the same, swap the blue and one of the others and see if the problem changes channels with the driver or if the blue channel still doesn't work. This will tell you if it's a driver problem or a problem with the LED string.

3. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    I thought of that, but one driver is an ELN-60-48D and the other is an ELN-60-27D. Not sure if I can switch them.

4. DNW

Jesup, IA
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Difference between the two is the out current. The 48d 24-48vdc. The 2ud is 13.5-27 vdc. If it’s the smaller one that you think might be bad just make sure to turn the dimmer all the way down before powering up with the larger in its place.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  5. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Unfortunately it is the larger one that I think is bad.

6. DNW

Jesup, IA
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    If you want to test turn your dimmer all the way up, that is the same voltage as having the larger turned all the way down. At least then you can definitely know which part is bad.

7. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    The drive swap was kinda obvious but I though I'd throw it out there.
    Does Rapid LED have a customer help line that might guide you through some troubleshooting?

8. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I decided to go for a new unit. The DIY unit is not my thing. I have zero interest in learning the necessary info for electronics!