1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

For Sale DIY LED Light Fixture (for 48" wide tank)

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by nickbuol, Aug 27, 2021.

1. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I have for sale a DIY project for someone.

216 total watts for a 48" wide tank. The Meanwell LED drivers (power supplies) all work, but a few of the LEDs went out, and over time, each row of LEDs has stopped. (One LED goes out, that whole strand stops.)

This happened once before and I replaced a few of the faulty LEDs with better quality ones, but it has happened again and I just didn't have the time to dig into it and my soldering iron isn't the greatest (I borrowed a professional soldering iron when I put this together and when I did the repairs last time.)

Here are the details about the light fixture:
    It sits 4 inches above the tank.
    With the legs it fits a 48" wide tank.
    It is 12" deep (front to back).

Mix of 72 mainly "cold white" and blue LED 3-watt star LEDs
    Comes with about 22-23 extra, higher quality LEDs (at least half are 15000K).

Each row of 12 LEDs has its own Meanwell LED driver (power supply) and its own power cord. I had these connected up to some low tech "Christmas light timers" which actually worked great to ramp up and down the lights throughout the day.

The new extra LEDs are worth about $60 per my receipt when I bought them in February 2021. The original LEDs were $108 (not counting ones already replaced with better ones). The fixture itself was $150 4-years ago. The 6 Meanwell power supplies (LPC-35-700) were $106 4-years ago.

Throw in the wiring, tubing, outlet plugs, etc and this is over $450. Of course it is used, and it needs some DIY attention, and I am going to be selling my new lights that I bought in March of this year soon as I start to tear down my tank, but this needs to go first.

How does $100 sound? I'm trying to go low so that I sell this quickly, but if interested at all, at least reach out. Happy to make a deal, and while you are at it, come get some live rock! (See my other post.)

20210827_201326.jpg

20210827_201315.jpg

20210827_201204.jpg

20210827_201220.jpg

2. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    For clarification, the electrical tape on the Mean Well power supplies was for color coding only so that I could keep track of which power supply went to which wires when I connected everything up in the fixture. Everything was connected using appropriate water tight connections/solder, not "just taped together".

Also for clarity, I was asking $100 for this, but am dropping it to $75 to try to entice someone even more. It is really nice for someone with a couple of hours to put into it, but right now I just need to make room as we are trying to get ready to move.

Again, new price is $75!

3. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    New price is $50 OBO! This is just sitting on my floor in my home office, so I need to make room. LOL

4. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    OK. This is now FREE!

With about 2 hours of work, you should be able to have a fully working LED light. Just test the individual lights with a 3V source (I taped together two AA batteries and used small pieces of wire) and if the bulb lights up, then it is good. If not, you de-solder it, remove it from the heatsink, put one of the replacements in its place with the heat transfer adhesive, and re-solder it in to place. Once the old failed ones in a row are replaced, that whole row will light up.

I would love this to be gone in the next few days or week, otherwise it will just go to a dumpster.

5. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    I'd love to have it! I like that heat sink housing!
    Have to come over from Des Moines, please let me know a good time for pick up.
    I'd give you a 20 for it to make it worth your time.

6. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Cool. I'll end you a PM.

7. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
  8. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    My pleasure @nickbuol@nickbuol ! Thank you!
    Good luck with the move!