1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

DIY Food - Saturday October 11th - VENUE CHANGED

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by Zoobie, Aug 11, 2014.

1. stew Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Anybody Ankeny way going? I signed up for a couple of bags but can't be there.

2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Stew I work near MHM and you can pick them up from me next week if you want.

3. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0

Everything arrived yesterday so we're good to go

I have the following items that I will be bringing:

Food processors (2)

Scales (2)

Keg Tub

Ziplock bags

Paddle mixer bit

1 gallon buckets

Colander

Large net (for straining PE Mysis)

Rags in a box

Microfiber Cloths

Towels

Solo Cups (for measuring)

Spatulas (for food processor)

Rubber Gloves

Extension Cords

Power Strips

I returned the food processor I bought last year (the rotor stripped out) and got another one, so I have 2 food processors to use. Terri, go ahead and bring yours. Anyone else can bring one also, but don't bring blenders, they do not work - only food processors.

The main things that everyone needs to bring are knives and cutting boards. Pretty much everything else will be provided. Knives of all kinds are helpful, from big kitchen knives to filet knives. The squid and octopus take super sharp knives, and time.

I usually forget about the drill. We need a heavy-duty corded drill, one that can accept the paddle mixer bit, which is 0.475" hex - so it needs to be a 1/2" chuck. I might just go buy one because hey, always need a good drill (and mine is junk)

Nick will be there to get us into the building at 8am. We can't get in any earlier than that for security reasons. If you can be there by 8:30 that would be best.

Last time we knocked this out in just under 2 hours from soup to nuts. We should be out of there by 11am if everything goes well.

Let go team!

4. mikesams05p71

mikesams05p71 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It'll be my first diy food meeting. Hopefully I'll be good assistance. :-D

5. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    ******* ALERT: EVENT VENUE CHANGE *******

Due to an unforeseen circumstance, we will not be able to hold the event at Central Campus.

We will be holding the DIY Food at 4PawsUnleashed instead, which is located at 5278 NE 14th St, Des Moines - just north of I-80/35 on NE 14th St

The event will start at 10am, which is when the normal Saturday closing time.

Sorry for the last minute change, nothing that we could do about it.

Please post here if this changes your ability to attend.

6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Anyone who wants to pay via PayPal can do so at any time. Send payments to treasurer@greateriowareefsociety.org. Mark as "Friends/Family". Depending on your fund source, there may be a fee. If there is, you must pay the fee (do no mark for recipient to pay the fee)
    There will be no fee at all if your source is PayPal funds or funds from a linked bank account.
    Again, in case anyone missed it:
    VENUE AND TIME HAVE CHANGED TO 10AM AT 4 Paws Unleashed!! See first post for address!!

7. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0

Watch this if you just got food

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi1HyXVh08I

8. mikesams05p71

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I tried to copy and paste. Wouldn't work...for me anyway.

9. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Worked for me just now

10. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Changed it to http. https links don't convert to hyperlinks on this site /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

Thanks everyone for helping out today and making it a great event! There is always a hiccup, this time is was no one bringing knives or cutting boards, but we managed, thanks to Justin for running to the Dollar Store!

One other thing is that I forgot we were supposed to blend the krill also, I realized that when I was flattening out the bags and found a whole one in there. I think the paddle mixer probably busted them up a bit, but if anyone notices whole large krill in their food, that's why. Oh well!

Another great event!

11. mikesams05p71

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Now it works. I'll try and do that tonight. I had to change my pants because my dogs would not stop licking me lol. Had quite a bit of diy food on me.

12. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    ROLMFAO!!!

13. scottlittle

Altoona
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Good video. Works great. Thanks again it was a great time meeting new people and get some good food. Thanks Armydog for hosting on short notice.

14. mikesams05p71

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I had a great time meeting new people. Justin I saw you snap a few pics on your phone are you gonna post any? Jw. No big deal.