1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

DIY Food - Saturday October 11th - VENUE CHANGED

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by Zoobie, Aug 11, 2014.

1. I'm in for a single bag, and will try to attend! Will get my membership renewed sometime before the event.

2. knowarms

knowarms

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm in for 2 and should be there if nothing comes up

3. Justin S. Well-Known ReefKeeper

Pleasant Hill
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Sunday @ Midnight is [/b]Last Call for DIY Food

$10 a bag if you attend / $15 if you cannot attend.

We need a final total by Sunday @ midnight so that we can get the appropriate amount of all the supplies ordered.

Let us know what you'd like now, so that you don't end up losing out on this opportunity!

4. Justin S. Well-Known ReefKeeper

Pleasant Hill
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    BUMP: LAST CALL DIY FOOD!

5. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    I know I said I would take some but will have to cancel... I won't be able to make it

6. Eric & Amber

Eric & Amber Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will take 2 bags of regular and 1 predator and i will not be able to make it

7. scottlittle

Altoona
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I'm in for two bags. I will get my membership done this week. I work Saturday's until 12:30-1 so I will not be able to come to the event. I just need to know where to pick it up. Thanks

8. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I don't think we are planning on making a predator mix but we might be able to just set aside a bag's worth for just one

9. mikesams05p71

mikesams05p71 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Has there been a starting time set? I could use one bag but not seein starting time so I can figure out if I can make it.

10. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Check the first post. Start time is 8am, things probably get rocking & rolling until 8:30-9 but need to be out if there by noon, no later

11. mikesams05p71

mikesams05p71 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. I will be there to help and will take one bag.

12. Justin S. Well-Known ReefKeeper

Pleasant Hill
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Get in quick & don't miss out on DIY food!

~16oz bag: $10 for Attendees, $15 if you can't make it

If you can't make it:

(1) You can make arrangements with somebody who can be there to pay for & pick up the food for you at the event.

(2) Alternatively you can pay pal the club directly ahead of time for somebody to pick up / hold it for you. To do this correctly contact Bud (PM: Turbo's Aquatics) for instructions.

Last Details:

Date: Saturday, October 11th

Address: 1800 Grand Ave, Des Moines, IA 50309

Time: 8am - 11:30am... We need to be out by noon.

13. Borky00 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Lisbon
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Just to let you know since I was on the original list I am out for this event and I will pass on the food also. The distance will not work for me. Thanx for the offer.

14. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I will be there. Not sure on how many if any I want. Will see whats left. Do you need me to bring anything?

15. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    If anyone wants something from Brine Shrimp Direct, I can lump it into the order, post in the thread below please:

http://www.greateriowareefsociety.org/Forums/tabid/78/aft/34977/Default.aspx

Also I will be making an order with Drs Foster & Smith for PE Mysis and can lump on a few extra bags

Bud

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  16. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I updated the first post and it looks like we should be good to go for about 70 bags, if not more. I made a connection with a seafood distributor and we able to get preservative-free and salt-free shrimp for probably the first time, as well as a really good deal on cod, scallops, and baby octopus. The quantities had to bump up a bit due to the minimum purchase for a few items, but it works out well. We will have plenty to go around, I'm estimating about 79 lbs of food total.

Nik, if you have room in your deep freeze, I could use it. I need to store about 50 lbs of seafood on Thursday when it comes in.

17. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    no problem

18. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    All the supplies have been ordered and will be here tomorrow. This is going to be a good batch!

I was able to connect with a new supplier for the seafood, a distributor out of Davenport that supplies restaurants and businesses all over the state. I finally was able to get flash-frozen, salt-free, preservative-free shirmp for the first time ever. Also got a deal on Cod, Scallops, Octopus. The volume needed to get the deal means the batch size will increase slightly, so we will have to see how it works out bag wise. For instance, I had to get 15 lb of Cod instead of 8. Also Brine Shrimp Direct was able to supply the large Krill at a great price, which means 6.5 lbs of that instead of 4 lb.

Either we are going to end up with more bags (upwards of 80 to 85) or heavier bags.

If we go with 85 16-oz bags, we'll have 15-20 extra bags. So if anyone wants extra, or feels like they missed the deadline, you can still get in. We're mainly shooting to break even and then extra bags will be given away in a raffle drawing to those attending, or donated to Central Campus, etc.

19. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Added the ingredients list to the OP for anyone curious

20. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    I will buy extra bags Bud as I know I didn't order enough:9( With the larger fish count, I'm using more than I figured. I will buy 4 more bags :0) Thanks!