1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tank Build! DIY book online

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ricowind67, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Just downloaded the Urajoey DIY handbook, Paper back is 74 dollars USD and the E book is 24.

it has some good info, but I was expecting an awesome tutorial book on all types of fabrication and for the price, I would rate it 2 out of 5 stars.

when it comes to acrylic info, so far Turbos posts are head and shoulders above this book.

just my thoughts

2. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I have also purchased this book. I would agree with you. There are some good basics in it but a lot of the projects and applications don't seem to be as clean as I would like them to be. For instance I will not be turning a water bottle into an in tank filter! It's just not going to happen! :)

3. love the bottle reply, I second that!

4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Thanks, that means a lot considering your setup and knowledge!!

I keep learning also. I just saw a post on R2R the other day of someone's LifeReef sump in the build process - LR had apparently sent him pics of his sump being built and I picked up a huge tip. I've always placed my builds on top of MDF boards with strips of foam on both sides to compensate for thickness irregularities and provide the ability to shim & pin. But LR uses a bench that essentially has some carpet on top and then he just uses popsicle sticks between that and the workpiece...brilliant, I wish I had thought of it!

Also, although I don't remember reading the posts, I heard that Joey got eaten alive on the RC Acrylics thread one time, I don't think he posted there again.

5. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    For anyone curious, here's what I was referring to

224g build

.jpg