1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

DIY algae scrubber/reactor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by F.D. Reefer, Sep 3, 2016.

1. F.D. Reefer Well-Known ReefKeeper

Fort dodge
    Ratings:
    +98 / 1 / -0
  2. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
  3. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Heres mine works great. I messed up putting the lights on but the macro doesn't care about it

20160902_223307.jpg

4. F.D. Reefer Well-Known ReefKeeper

Fort dodge
    Ratings:
    +98 / 1 / -0
    That's awesome
    Iv been lookin for an inexpensive way to add cheato reactor.
    Were did u get light strip?
    eBay?

Sent from my iPhone via App

5. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    I got it off of a facebook ad. But I heard you can get them at home depot. Its just a led strip lights with a remote :)

I did it this way because I didnt have room in my sump and It seems to be growing pretty fast.

I left the sponges in the reactor so the macro doesn't get into the sump

6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    lol I think you meant reef builders

7. tbraz

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    This is an interesting concept, and if nothing else it looks cool under the tank, i think i might have to try it

8. mpivit Well-Known ReefKeeper

Dubuque
    Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    Has anybody ever used those lights on an algae scrubber?

Sent from my iPad via App

9. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I would bet they would work ok. Probably just wouldn't be nearly as powerful or grow quite as much as something like @Turbo's Aquatics@Turbo's Aquatics uses in his scrubbers.
    I wonder which one would be better/more efficient at nutrient removal algae scrubber, or cheato reactor?

10. F.D. Reefer Well-Known ReefKeeper

Fort dodge
    Ratings:
    +98 / 1 / -0
    I would think as far as a diy project and cost next to nothing in spare parts it would work great.

Pax-bellum reactor would be around the same price range as turbos.
    That would be a great test.

Sent from my iPhone via App

11. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    I changed the leds yesterday at about 2am to all on to see if what difference it would make with having all of the lights on before I left to work

Took this when I turned them all on

20160907_171548.jpg

This was today about an hour ago

20160908_192833.jpg

Im seeing good growth :).

I would totally do the algae scrubber but it pulls out to much for zoas from what I have read and I like zoas, sps, and lps :)

If I saw a tank thread of a person with an algae scrubber and lots of zoas then I might consider that.

I personally did this cause I like making stuff and experimenting with new things. Also with my huge Skimz skimmer and avast large spyglass reactor I didnt have a place for an in sump fuge plus its cleaner in the sump

12. mpivit Well-Known ReefKeeper

Dubuque
    Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    I used to have tons of zoos and lps with my algae scrubbed tank, they grew really well until I added a regal angel. It was so long ago the pics aren't on my device anymore.

Sent from my iPad via App

13. Do any of you think this would work using a BRS reactor (their single deluxe reactor which I used to use for GFO)? It's the only extra reactor I have laying around. Also, using the instructed maxijet 1200 pump to power the reactor with an attached ball valve, is it suggested to run it entirely open with optimal flow, or is it preferred to use medium or little flow? And lastly, do those strip led lights contain all red leds? Or are whites and/or blues advised? Thanks for the help! - Dustin

14. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    The led lights are all different colors you just choose which color you want with the remote you can see in the last picture I posted that its white.

You can try it with that reactor Im sure it would work but you may have to trim it more.

15. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    Are these for growing algae or time travel?

16. lol, dangerj. As far as which is more effecient, an algae scrubber has a larger surface area and can process more in a smaller space than macroalgae. The lights they recommend are red 660 nm and an occasional blue can be thrown in (420 nm?). You can find out more about these at algaescrubber.net. I don't know how they compare to turbo's but santa monica sells them or you can make one.

17. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I have shifted to 415-425nm Hyper Violet. Blues are too strong. Violets are in the better bandwidth and don't easily photosaturate, but even then, you still have to run them at 50% of the 660 deep reds. This results in curves like this one

[​IMG]

That's an array with 6x 660s and 2x HVs, the peak levels are nearly spot on 6:1

Green is the array at 50%, red is the array at 100%. Taken with a spectrometer

18. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    First pic August 13th

20160813_210738.jpg

Second pic September 14th I decided to turn on all the lights a couple weeks ago and seeing better growth

20160914_155754.jpg

19. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    How full do you let it get before you "harvest" some?

20. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Was planning on taking some out this weekend. Figured take it down to the golf ball size that I put in there.

This is my first time trimming it and I think with the change of lights I'll have to trim it sooner next time