1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

disease please help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wesly2007, Aug 31, 2008.

1. wesly2007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    so I just got this guy and a mate but yesterday i knowticed this spot on the left side buy the gill can someone help me identify it. and possibly how to treat it.
    http://s394.photobucket.com/albums/pp26/wesly-carter/?action=view&current=IMG_0171.jpg

2. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    link dont work

3. wesly2007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    /Users/weslycarter/Desktop/th_IMG_0171.jpg

4. wesly2007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    how do I move it over to here

5. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    i figured out how to get to it, was he wild caught cause it looks like it could be a worm. i would fresh water dip him for 10 minutes then give it 2days and do it again. when it falls out it will look like a small piece of a layer of skin butterflys and scopus tangs seem to come in with em all the time. i found fresh water dip always seems to work and then look at it under a microscope it looks kind of aggresive

6. wesly2007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    too late i came to the house today and it was dead. Now I need to find a new perc.

7. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to hear about this fish wes, where did you pick him up from?

[​IMG]

8. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I believe a common name for it is a gill fluke. I would have been worried about him at the store because of the fluke, but also the black bleeding into the white band is never good. I also have never had much luck with yellow Ocellaris, they always seem to be sickly. When picking out your next clown make sure there are no noticable marks/parasites, that the fish is swimming normally and its mouth should be closed most of the time, coloration is another key point look for redish orange not yellow, body shape is up there also as it can tell you if it is a poorly raised captive bred fish or a quality one. MOST IMPORTANT when ever you buy a fish, always ask to see it eat. If it does not take food readily turn and walk out. I know it can be hard, but it will save you money and heart ache. If a fish will not eat it is possible that it is full of internal parasites or has been captured using cyanide. Both of these are deadly and you will only get less than a week out of your new pet as you watch it waste away leaving you to blame yourself. If you are dead set on a certain fish that will not eat, have the store put it on hold for a week. This will allow the fish to get over its jitters and you should be able to tell if it looks worse at this point. If it is still not eating, I would still walk away, REMEMBER you never save a fish from the pet store. If you buy that one they will figure they made money on that one, why not buy another and the cycle continues. If you don't buy it, they lose money and will buy better quality or more hardy fish the next time.

9. wesly2007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Lee:  your gonna laugh,  I got it from Emporium[​IMG]
    Travis: When i picked him up at the store he had no visible problem and was eating.  I just went to crap overnight it seems.  Do you think its a occ or a perc?