1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Dipping Xenia??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jtesdall, Nov 1, 2007.

1. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I am getting some Blue Xenia (Cespitularia) tomorrow. What should I dip it with before going into my tank? I figure since I looked like an idiot after the swap I had better improve my Methods. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif I have Lugol's iodine and hoping to use that but wanted to check first.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i want mez some blue xenia... ohhh mama...
    xenia is my favorite coral...
    anyways, for soft corals i "hear" of people just dippin in r.o. water... sorry, i have only dipped a few things (just used r.o. and swished it around for a minute or so - not sure if thats anywhere near sufficient)
    im jealous.

3. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Joel I honestly wouldn't dip it in anything. I don't know of any bugs that would be on it... not to mention the stuff is VERY sensitive to changes. I think just about anything you dipped it in would kill it.

4. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was happy to read in the other thread that you did not dip it. Blue xenia is far too picky. As for fresh water dips in general, I am not a fan. They don't really do anything unless your fish has flukes or something that has a soft exterior that would be affected by hyposalinity. Many people try to use fresh water dips to avoid ich. It is not going to work. The ich is in a cyst under the skin and slime coats of the fish. The only thing accomplished is stressing the fish and decreasing their immunity. As for coral, I believe they are too touchy to hyposalinity to fresh water dip and you are dangerously close to killing them if you try. The old stand by is always best. Place any new addition into an observation tank and only take action when deemed necissary.

5. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thank you everyone, so far so good.