1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Dinoflagellates, help!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jeffmr4, Aug 9, 2018.

1. jeffmr4 GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Hello,
    I'm pretty sure I have dinoflagellates developing. They are in the sand bed and I think brown or red matts with strings streaming up with bubbles on the end. I've read some things at reef2reef and other places so I know some of the approaches. I just wondered if anyone here had any suggestions. To give you an idea about my setup its 10 gallons (8 displaced, probably 8 lbs. carib-sea life rock) with another 10 in the sump.
    Temp. 76
    Salinity 1.025-6
    Mg 1425
    Alk. 8.5
    Ca 420
    Weekly Water Changes (5 gallons), Fritz Pro RPM Salt, Siphon all the sand
    Blow detritus off of rocks and corals and clean glass once per week
    Bi-weekly change of 2 tbsp. rox .8 carbon
    Big ball of Chaetomorpha algae in sump (I've read that this can be a cause)
    2 g auto-topoff with 2 tsp. / gallon kalkwasser
    Nitrates < 5
    Phosphates .08 (this measurement was taken after a few feedings so I probably need to test again later. I know people say low or 0 nitrates and phosphates can cause them so I've started to up my feeding a little.)
    2 clown fish, 1 small crocea clam, 3 cerith snails, 1 mexican turbo snail, and 8 small corals hard and soft.
    I feed the fish small Hikari pellets. No more than they can eat.
    And I've just started to feed phytoplankton and reef roids.
    Filter sock changed weekly
    Small skimmer which mostly provides aeration.
    Lighting is Kessil Tuna Blue for hard corals and Kessil A80 for soft. Lighting from 8 to 4 and 5 to 5 for the Kessil grow light on the Chaeto.
    For flow I have a gyre 230 on low, small overflow box and return of maxijet 900.

I would like to get it before it spreads any further.

Thanks for any help.

2. jeffmr4 GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Well, I tested my phosphate and it is 0. It seems to always be 0. I did a lights out for three days and it disappeared. I followed that with a 5 gallon water change, acclimation mode for the lights over the course of a week starting at 10%. The grow light I did 6 hours the first night and then 12 the next. Its on a pretty low setting.
    After having the lights on for two days there is starting to be a brown dusting in spots which is what it looked like when it started. I've cleaned some of the tubes coming and going from the tank and am trying another lights out for a few days. I have the chaeto light on though. The corals are doing 'ok'. I am going to forgo the water change the next time I turn the lights on and see if that makes a difference. I have stopped feeding the corals extra food and just feed the fish.
    I will keep you posted.

3. Alex Crittenden GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I’ve had a similar problem. I used an every other day schedule of lights out, cut back on food 25%, and did twice a week 20% water changes. 2 weeks and everything was cleared up, no sign since