1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Dino`s ???? Need some advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by foxface, Oct 9, 2008.

1. foxface

foxface Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone. My tank (40g breeder) has been setup for just shy of 5 months. I have about 60lbs of LR with about 15 pounds of rock rubble in my sump/fuge. It is a 20g long sumpe with rock rubble and cheato. I run my lights in my fuge when my lights go out in my display tank. I have a coralife super skimmer 125 also in the sump. My tank went thru a very small diatom bloom during the first initial cycle and my sand bottom has looked pearly white up untill a couple of days ago. I have had no nuisence algae problems whatsoever  and the tank has been running great with a few bumps along the way but have been fixed with the help of others from this group. I noticed the other day that there were a couple patches of really dark brown algae on my sand bed about the diameter of a 50 cent piece. The day after there was couple more patches with the signs of some diatoms also in other areas of the tank. The diatoms if I am correct are a light brown dusting on the sand just as i experience in my first few weeks of tank setup. The stuff in the patches like i said is really dark brown and allmost clumps up the sand. Is this you think the dredded Dino's. If so how long does this last and is there a cure other then frequent water changes and tank maintenence procedures? I first noticed them tuesday and did a 10 percent water change using RO water and also another 10 percent change on wednesday. Should I do a dark period for a few days. Just curious of what success others have had and appreciate any advice. My return pumps out about 500 gph and am running a 820 gph korilia so i think i have enough flow. Ph=8.2 alk 3.6 sg=1.024 no amonia. Don't have a phos kit or nitrate kit. One thing i must point out is that ever since i have first setup this tank I have be having a heck of a time with my skimmer. I can't get it to skim very well at all. I do a weekly change of 4 gallons, run carbon in the sump. Could this be from the lack of propper skimming over the last few months or are the water changes and use of carbon and cheato enuff to keep up with the load I have in the tank. (4 perc's and soft corals). I hooked up a aqua c remora yesterday and we will see what that does. Sorry to be so windy.
    Any advice?
    Thanks guys.
    John

2. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I guess I'm confused at what a "dino" actually is.

3. foxface

foxface Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry Glaspie. I think its short for dinoflagellate. Another nusience marine algae. I have been on cloud 9 with my tank for months and this happends and I want to nip it in the but as quickly as possible so if you have any secrets glaspie please let me know.
    Thanks.
    John

4. glaspie69

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I'm thinking it would be more of a cynobacteria. You could try increasing flow, making sure your temp is between 76-78, testing for phosphates, and checking your bulbs and the time they run. I think most find that its a combo of things that cause it, either too warm of water and to little flow...things like that.

5. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hard to say if that's what it is, I think people run their tanks with high magnesium levels to help control it. ... let me see if i can find the article on RC

6. Tina

Tina

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Speaking of which i do believe i am having the same prob currently and i always use chemi clean for the brown stuff and it works for me just make sure you follow the directions.

7. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wow, thats weird, over that past 2 weeks, I have gotten a really bad algae problem, both Cryno and another form of algae (very stringing).
    I went and ordered a clean-up crew as over the past 1 1/2 years have lost quite a few of the old ones.
    Have to try the Chemi clean, to assist the new crew with the problem.

Funny thing is everytime I volunteer to be on a tank tour something happens in the tank, wonder whats up with that!

8. glaspie69

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Bad thing about chemi clean is it's only a masking fix. In order to really fix the problem you have to find the problem. Chemi clean works great for a quick fix but somewhere there is still a problem in either flow, temp, or water params. On a side note it might just be that time of year because I am having issues with hair algea.

9. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like you guys need to do some more water changes....

/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

10. foxface

foxface Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Looks that way but I have been doing 10% water changes weekly for the last 5 months using RO water. One shouldn't have to do more then that should they? [​IMG]

11. glaspie69

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I would say you should check your parameters and go from there

12. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I agree with glaspie on this, if you high nitrates you might want to do larger changes until the problem is taken care of.

13. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By glaspie69 on 10/10/2008 02:45 PM
    Bad thing about chemi clean is it's only a masking fix. In order to really fix the problem you have to find the problem. Chemi clean works great for a quick fix but somewhere there is still a problem in either flow, temp, or water params. On a side note it might just be that time of year because I am having issues with hair algea. Yeah, I know that, but I figure with the clean up crew that I ordered.  The Chemi Clean would get the clean up crew caught up on their job aand they could take it from there.  I have noticed reduced performance in my return pump, this may be causing a problem, with not enough water flowing through the system.  Also, being fall we have the windows open right now and the tank gets a little hot during the day, this could also be contributing to the problem.

14. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Waverz on 10/10/2008 08:38 PM
    Sounds like you guys need to do some more water changes....
    /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif
    I have been, after I noticed the problem developing, I changed out 50 Gals over 3 day period, which is about the fastest I can make water.