1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Digging sand from the ocean

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PotRoast, Jul 17, 2008.

1. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I am going to be at Indian Rocks Beach (Tampa) next week for a beach vacation.

I am thinking about digging sand from the ocean and bringing it home with me to put in my reef tank.

How bad of an idea is this?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is that aragonite sand, or the same useless silica you can buy at a quarry for 50 dollars a ton?

3. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've seen this question asked on other forums and the answer that would sway me is this.  Do you know what is in that sand or what it might be contaminated with?  In the long run, I wouldn't want to risk unknown things going into my expensive set up (and almost ANY setup ends up being expensive.)

4. PotRoast

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I don't know what kind of sand it is. I have been there before. It appears to be sand with chunks of ocean in them (grit, shells, etc.) I know that barely helps.

In regards to contamination, of course I don't know what it is contaminated with. I can't even say if it is contaminated. I posted the same question to the Tampa Bay Salt Club. Hopefully those people can answer this question since they are local. We'll see.

Thanks for your responses!

5. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd be interested in hearing what the Floridians have to say on this.  I wasn't trying to come off as sounding negative but if down the road, you had unexplained problems, you would forever wonder if it was something in the sand or at least I would.

6. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Having been to a couple of Old Castles sites down south you would be amazed the garbage that was in the water around the area where they were collecting the Southdown Play Sand. Personally I would not use any sand unless it was collected at a very clean remote location where I knew the water was very clean. Anwhere around the coastal us is not one of those places. Florida is horrible about piping sewage out a few miles, which leads to increased levels of nitrates and phosphate and all the lovely things that come with that.

I would likely use the commercially collected aragonite sand to be safe.

7. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Please dont use gulf sand!!!! Trying to save you some heart ache... OFFSHORE OIL RIGS!!! Oil floats on h2o any shore sand will have petrolium distalates imbedded in it. Let alone everything else. Reef sand must be collected at or near the base of a reef! At least 1-2 miles out. Its getting to be a dirty place around here!!![​IMG]

8. PotRoast

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    FWIW I didn't dig any sand.

The Tampa Bay Salt club told me about the contaminates.

You guys all confirmed it. I'm not even sure if I am going to use sand at this point but whatever.

Thanks for all your input.