1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Difference between Iodine and Iodide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by foxface, Jan 1, 2009.

1. foxface

foxface Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys. I was going to start dosing my tank with Iodine. I do have a bottle of Iodide in my possession and was just curious what the difference was. I was doing some research on the two and it looks like iodide is a by product of iodine. Is this correct? If so should I use the iodide that I have to for Iodine dosing.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My question is why are you dosing it? Do you have a test kit that indicates you have low levels of Iodine? Most salt mixes contain the proper amount of Iodine and can easily be replenished through water changes.
    If you want to leanr more about the difference between the two here is a great article.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/chem.htm

3. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I dose a little iodine. I used to test for it, but would find it was depleted a few days after doing a waterchange so I stopped because its a PITA to test. Since I hardly ever do waterchanges, I think its a good idea to help the shrimp/crabs molt. It's definitely better to underdose than overdose. I would recommend testing your water first to see how fast your system depletes it before you start. I've noticed the Xenia likes it, otherwise there really hasn't been a whole lot of noticiable differences.

4. foxface

foxface Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I was just told that Iodine may help with the growth of some soft corals by supplementing with this element. Just curious however what the difference was between the two. I don't have test for it however and just curious if anyone has had any success or distress using this.

Thanks for the input.