1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Difference betweem Palythoa and Zoanthus...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gb387, Feb 21, 2009.

1. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just that what is the difference between Palythoa and Zoanthus...  The look similar to me!?!?  Trying to ID some of the things I purchase sometime ago and forgot what they were/are.

2. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So it's kind of like how you can call a sandal a shoe but you wouldn't call a shoe a sandal?

3. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good topic for discussion.

This isn't very scientific, but in my own opinion and experience I will describe how I classify a palythoa.

Palythoas are usually a little larger and thicker than most zoas. They usually will eat frozen food where most zoas will not. You can observe them closing up around the food like a venus fly trap. Usually Palythoas have stripes in them and have a little bit of a metallic shimmer (look like human eyes). Yet that doesn't mean they are certainly a palythoa as some zoas have these features as well. They also seem to be more hardy and less likely to catch diseases/parasites/fungi. Keep in mind this is just what I have observed and it doesn't mean that it is necessarily correct.

I hope some others will chime in about this subject...

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I agree with lee. The skirts on palys seem to be fewer where on a zoa they are usually thick & close together

5. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    you got any pic's of what you are trying to ID.

6. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Lee.......Paly's will close up around food, whereas zoanthids do not and are generally larger.

7. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    All very interesting and very helpful. Thanks!