1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Did you test this week?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chief Reef, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    I thought it would be cool to share with everyone my parameters for this week! Maybe even post every time i test to make sure I'm testing every week.

Currently I'm using aquaforest reef salt and I dose kalkwasser in my auto top off. I do water changes every 7-10 days and my lights are on 12 hours a day. It's a 40 gallon all In one tank i built myself. Enjoy!

Hanna checker alkalinity: 8.3
    Hanna PH: 8.13
    Hanna calcium: 574 (this is probably wrong although I tested it twice)
    Hanna phosphate: .58
    API nitrate: unreadable
    salifert magnesium: 1410ish
    refractometer: 1.025

What did you test at this week?

2. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    Interesting. I jut received my Hanna Calcium tester.. It is the one with the new titrator for the .01 mil of tank water. Seemed easy enough. Mine test 489.. I will be testing tomorrow with Salifert and compare it to Hanna..

3. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    I think the high calcium is from the rodi water I use in the test kit..havent changed the ro membrane on my filter since I bought it used almost 2 years ago

4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    @Pygmey@Pygmey have you used the previous version of the Hanna Calcium Checker? I hadn't heard that they made a new one

5. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    i JUST RECENTLY ADDED A CARX SO I HAVE BEEN TESTING TO GET IT DIALED IN. THESE ARE MY RESULTS SO FAR.
    ALK CALCIUM MAGNESIUM
    8.32 12/17 455 12/17 1250 12/17
    9.28 12/18 470 12/21 1440 12/21
    9.92 12/20 450 12/25 1440 12/25
    8.96 12/21
    8.32 12/25

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  6. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0

IMG_4794.JPG

I tried to edit it so you can read it easier but it wouldn't save the text as I have it displayed here.

7. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    Yes. The new one has a lab grade .01 mil titrator instead of the same syringe type that you traditionally would have used. I an however testing and getting results over 500. I will test more tomorrow.

8. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Tested my 90 today! Using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals and only dosing hydrogen peroxide currently as I'm fighting some dinos. I'm testing about every 3-4 days right now, it's been 5 this time, as I don't have any automation beyond ATO (RO water only).

Sg: 1.026
    Hanna Checker Alk: 8.0 (brought up to 9.0)
    Salifert Ca: 435 (brought up to 450)
    Salifer Mg: 1345 (brought up to 1350)

9. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Did you get it figured out? mine was doing the same thing. I'm pretty sure it' becasue of the ro water that might have a little tds. was ganna order hannas solution but couldn't justify spending $20 on water that I already make lol

10. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    I have their water. I still get a high reading. I ordered the control solution to see what it says

11. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    Ok... I did this test today with Hannas water.. A reference liquid that states the Calcium should be 422 mg/l ..

After running the test I received a reading of 410 ppm. To accurately convert ppm to mg/l you take the ppm x 1.026 or the salinity level. This gave me essentially a reading of 421 mg/l.. So seems to be pretty darn accurate.. I still think my tank is testing too high though. I will test today with my salifert test to verify.

12. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    I wanted to get this thread going again since I downloaded this free app called Aquarium Note. Can I get an opinion on my ALK fluctuation? Is it too much swing? I'm not chasing particular numbers but just trying to dial in the kalk dosing to make things consistent.
    Using aquaforest reef salt and checking every couple days with Hanna dKH

Screenshot_20180304-234638.png

13. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    That's probably not too much of a fluctuation... I believe the general rule of thumb is to not swing it more than 1dkh per day. If you're dripping kalk you should be fine... just gotta be careful if you're bolus dosing though.

14. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    I am testy.....does that count ? :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Uh oh! Not good! Uh oh! Not good! x 1
    • List
  15. Absolutely, :D

16. refractometer salinity 1.025
    mercury thermometer temp 79
    api ph 8.1