1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Did everyone enjoy their products from the two part buy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Waverz, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I just mixed up my first batch of Magnessium last night and it seems to work pretty well.  I really can't believe how much money i am saving buy making my own rather than buying tech-m or similar products all the time.
    I also think its pretty cool being able to run carbon and GFO in my reactor.
    I don't think i will be needing to order or buy reef suppliments for a very long time, which is cool with me.
    Anyway, just seeing if everyone was as happy with their stuff as i am.

2. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Carbon seems nice....really small particals...we will see how it holds up.

Thks again for doing that order Jeremy

3. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I haven't even opened mine yet. I'm still not sure that I can get that GFO and/or carbon to work in my XP3 canister filter... I'd need a pretty fine media bag.
    And yes, thanks for doing the order Jeremy, the magnesium alone makes it well worthwhile!
    -JB

4. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Haven't used any yet Jeremy. But I am very happy with what I received. I won't have to buy much for a long time either. Thanks again for setting this up what a great benefit of GIRS!

Hey, do we need to do anything special with the DI resin to make sure it doesn't go bad?? vacuum seal or anything?

5. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    So Jeremy

Mrs. Wages has phosphate?

I thought Kalk prepceped phosphate?

Not a biggie to me as it is just my backup cal/alk when the reactor is off line but I was wondering as it would matter greatly to some.

6. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Covey

I quit using Mrs. Wages a while back when my Kalk reactor effluent tested crazy high for PO4
    I also checked the RO/Di coming in and I didnt get any detectable PO4.
    It might have been and most likely was a bad batch or something but its not worth the risk to me...I now use ESV Kalk and it is great, it even dissolves better IMO.

ein

7. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I will have to test my Mrs. Wages Kalk mixture. I've been using it for several years now. That would certainly suck. I don't know if there are any alternatives comparable in price.

8. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yup, i got a phosban reactor thursday night and fired it up friday using the gfo.

it obvously works, i did a test on po4 before hooking it up and it read 0.1 and last night it was undetectable, heck yeah.
    i still need to order a add/on di cartride so i can use the di resin, maybe next week.
    im still kinda baffled about the two part solution being acctually 3 parts but what the heck, after i find some magnesium chloride hexahydrate, ill be good to go.
    i went to the dollar store and bought a crapload of baking soda and epsom salts on saturday, i think the cashier thought im trying to make some sort of bomb or something to that effect. who buys 10 boxes of baking soda and 8 cartons of epsom salt?.............. the mail bomber or uncle fester from the adams family.
    im thinking about just forgetting the magnesium chloride hexahydrate part of it, but havnt decided yet. any suggestions are welcome.

9. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Wow, why so much baking soda and epsom?? If I remember right the recipe is a box of each to a gallon. For a starting tank using a good salt mix you won't need much 2 part for awhile unless you are going to buy large colonies to start with.

10. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jtesdall on 11/05/2007 8:09 AM
    Wow, why so much baking soda and epsom?? If I remember right the recipe is a box of each to a gallon. For a starting tank using a good salt mix you won't need much 2 part for awhile unless you are going to buy large colonies to start with.
    well the epsom was 50 cents and the baking soda was 25 cents, i get 7 bucks in my pocket, i go crazy.
    the recipe calls for 8 cups epsom and 2 1/4 soda.
    and to tell you the truth after walking on stilts all day, a epsom bath doesnt sound too bad, im gettin old.

11. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Bump I was considering ordering some resin and GFO from 2 part and I was wondering how it worked out for everyone.

12. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Came out great I think .... but I haven't had the chance to use anything yet. It is still all bagged. I had it in my mind that I would be going through much more DI resin than I am. I bought 10 pounds, wayyy too much. You can buy some of that off me if you want, that way you wouldn't have to buy so much from 2 part. Their GFO wasn't priced as well, that is why everyone dropped most of that when Jeremy corrected the price. It came to $12 a pound in bulk.
    Let me know.
    And thanks again Jeremy for putting this together. Still one the best reasons to be part of GIRS!