1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

DFS Salt Buy

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by jtesdall, Apr 22, 2008.

1. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I am planning on buying salt this week from DFS if anyone wants to split shipping. I am also thinking of buying 50 blue legs somewhere if anyone is interested.

2. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Could actually use some snails and maybe a few crabs but with the employment situation, looks like scraping the glass will be my cleaning crew...

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Any chance you're coming to the meeting the 2nd?

4. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think we will be coming but I can't be sure. We can always hook up if you are out towards Clive. Or I can stop by your place on the way home. Actually I haven't been to your place for awhile, I would like to see what you and Rachael have going on anyway.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jtesdall on 04/22/2008 3:20 PM
    We can always hook up...
    For just the price of a bucket of reef crystals?  I'm in!

6. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ahhhh Ryan, I didn't think you cared.
    Yes, it was a bad choice of words. I don't come that cheap. That may be a bad choice of words as well, but no RC mafia on here.
    I take it you are in for one bucket of RC, Reef Crystals that is? I am actually gonna try switching to Seachem, just because I can. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yep, reef crystals it is. Just let me know where to pick it up and what cash/acts you want in return!

8. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would take a bucket of reef crystals or instant ocean, if i'm not too late. Let me know what i owe Joel.

9. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Don't know what "acts" are Ryan?
    I have Ryan H for 1 Reef Crystals
    Wayne for 1 Reef Crystals (Let me know if you want IO instead)
    Jeremy (Nykademus for one Seachem
    Me for one Seachem
    Should be a nice split on shipping. If anyone wants anything elsefromthere let me know.

10. Nykademus

Nykademus Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am planning on going to the meeting on the 2nd, so I should be able to bring buckets o' salts if anyone needs.
    Joel, could you add an Instant Ocean Reefmaster test kit to my portion of the order and switch my salt to R/C please?
    If anyone else needs new tests, they are on sale right now.
    I/O Reefmaster test kit.

11. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Finally ordered! I will be out of Town Mon-Wed but I will bring it to my office in Clive on Thursday or Friday. We are right behind Barr Bike at Harbach and 86th. Otherwise Jeremy or I will bring it on the second. I may not be able to make it because of my Nephews second birthday.

12. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    sorry 4 the interruption, Adams has I/o on sale as well as reef crystals. Like 40 and 45 bucks 4 the 160 mix. They might as well rename it algae crystals, and instant algae. Switch to Oceanic its a lot better!

13. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    There are many different opinions on this issue. I have been using reef crystals for over two years and I have pretty much no algae in my three tanks. Atleast one person involved in this thread used to use Oceanic and has changed because of bad experiences. I am going to try Seachem to see if I notice a difference and because I really like seachem products.
    Bottom line, there is no perfect salt. You still have to test like a madman and supplement correctly is neccesary. Whichever salt works for someone that is what matters. General aquarium husbandry is the most important issue. If IO or RC is adding phosphates then algae will happen, I guess they did have a bad batch from what I remeber reading.
    Here is a thread started on the issue here:
    http://www.greateriowareefsociety.org/site/Community/DiscussionForums/tabid/78/forumid/4/tpage/1/view/topic/postid/5577/Default.aspx#7413

14. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good Joel, hopefully you can make it on the 2nd. Let me know how much i owe you, and how i can pay you. (via paypal,) I just dont know if i can swing over that way this week with Little League going on every night. Thanks Wayne
    And i wanted to show you my new skimmer..

15. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Salt is here (except mine.:0()
    Ryan and Wayne, $34 each. Jeremy or I will be coming to the meeting Friday so you can get it and pay whomever there. You can Paypal as well to jtesdall@mapcon.com. Otherwise it will be at my office (in the car) Thursday and Friday if you would rather pick it up.

16. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Joel,I''ll just pay one of you guys tomorrow night.