1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Delay on Joshi/Vera videos....

Discussion in '2011' started by Waverz, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Well I hate to say this but there is gonna be a delay on the videos of the speakers at Spring Fest.  The DV port on my camera shorted out and as of now I have no way of exporting the video to my PC.  I actually have two of the same cameras and they now both have faulty DV ports, apparently it is a bad design and they short out easily.  The only solution to this problem is to buy a HDMI capture card for my PC which run around $200. My unemployment just ran and we barely have enough money to pay the mortgage let alone spend the money on another piece of hardware for my AV hobby.
    So unless I can get some donations or win the lottery  in order to purchase the card, it might be several months before I can get these edited.
    I apologize for the delay and promise to get them edited and uploaded as soon as possible.
    Your "humble AV guy"
    Jeremy

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wonder if someone in your area has a camera that uses the same tapes that they can loan you to get the videos downloaded. I have a Sony that takes Mini-DV tapes and uses a Firewire port (IEEE 1394 mini) if you can use that. LMK.

--AJ

3. Rutherford

Rutherford Inactive User

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have a copy of snagit which can be used to "Snag Video" let me know if I can be of help

4. Andy The Reef Guy

Andy The Reef Guy Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    After MACNA can we afford to just buy a new camera for club events? Maybe we should buy one FOR MACNA?

5. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    From what I understand there will not only be A CAMERA but a camera crew attending MACNA.
    Also, though the miracle of credit card technology I was able to purchase a HDMI capture card.  So as long until my wife sees the bill and makes me return it I should have plenty of time to get the videos done as soon as next week some time.
    Both of my cameras are essentially worthless without having the card anyhow so hopefully my wife will understand....we'll see.

6. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    just sell me more corals and she'll never notice

7. mcclandy

mcclandy

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think it is awesome that you tape and post these! Thanks!

8. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks man!  I think it is awesome that the speakers let me film them.  We are lucky enough as club to actually get top name speakers like we have been getting, but to actually have a video archive of their talks is super awesome!
    I am rendering both videos tonight and plan on uploading them tomorrow evening.  If all goes well they should be up for your viewing pleasure by Wednesday.

9. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    You are the man!  Cant wait to sit down and watch them

10. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Mark Vera is uploading as we speak and should be available for viewing tomorrow. I have to wait until tomorrow to upload the Sanjay video but both should be viewable before the weekend.

Enjoy!

11. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I should also note, on these videos I decided instead of try and get the people doing the talks in the video, I basically just shot the screen. It's really hard to be able to film the person giving the talk and the screen because of low light levels. I figure being able to see the slide show and hearing the speaker clearly is far more important that being able to actually see the person giving the talk. You will notice both speakers kind of move in and out of the frame at times but it's not that distracting.

Both are very videos informational and make a nice addition to our "ever growing" video collection. We are probably the only club to offer this sort of service to it's members, we are truly blessed to have such a great opportunity to have the opportunity to archive this type of information.

12. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Thanks so much for doing this Jeremy. I didnt have a chance to hear Vera, but heard it was awesome.

13. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all your work on this Jeremy!

BTW, we have a new video module that I'll be moving all of these videos into. It will also allow members to post there on videos or link to their favorite videos on YouTube. We've had it for a while, but it didn't work very well on our old web server. Hopefully the new one will do better.

14. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yes, thanks a ton Jeremy! I didn't get to see either speaker and I am looking forward to it. I always download and write them to DVD.

15. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Not feeling the love from Vimeo. I got an upload failed error last night so I am giving it another shot. Hopefully it will go through so I can get the Sanjay video uploaded as well. It's always something.....

16. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ditto...thanks for the effort Jeremy. It's great when people with specialized skills like yours are able to use them to benefit the entire club. Thanks! Still no luck with Vimeo?

--AJ

17. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Any update on this Jeremy? Are they uploaded and I'm just not finding them?

--AJ

18. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    They are up in the new video system. The delay is my fault. I still have a few things I need to get fixed before I roll out the new system.

-JB

19. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK...thanks for the update...I had a member ask me about these today, so I wanted to follow up.

--AJ

20. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I finally got this finished up. See my note in the main menu...

-JB