1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

December Photography Meeting

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by Armydog, Nov 24, 2015.

which date works best

Poll closed Nov 27, 2015.
  1. December 6th

13 vote(s)
    72.2%
  2. December 19th

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    So lets Take a vote on which date works best for you. I only have a couple weekends that work for me. After talking to @Fence13@Fence13 we have decided to do photography of the reef tank. Then possibly doing a Christmas themed photo contest shortly after.

We are gonna attempt to record this meeting to and post it to girs.

So lets vote on which date works best for you @Region: Des Moines & Ames

2. leymas

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0
    I would be taken a picture of a empty tank, at this time.

3. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Any pic is a good pic :)

Im looking forward to this meeting because I can use some pointers on my pics

4. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    Are u wanting 1 large meeting with 2 regions? or we talking 2 separate recorded meetings? a bit confused!!

5. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    @Turbo's Aquatics@Turbo's Aquatics can we link these recorded photo (How to) to a you tube video? within the forum?

6. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    I am waiting on confirmation on the location to make sure either of these dates work for him.

Plus how many people. I personally have no issues with people coming from your area or any area for that matter. But thats if they want to make the drive.

7. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    Lol. True.

8. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    You're always welcome to come experience the awesomeness of a DSM meeting :) Just bring presents. ;) Our meetings are always open to all GIRS members, but if you want to hold another one in your area for your members who can't attend ours that would work too.

I figured since there was talk of doing a holiday themed Photo Contest anyways why not use a meeting to help people with it. Then we could use this time to increase participation in both the region and the photo contests :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Unfortunately neither of those dates works really well for me - the 5th is the weekend my wife is out of town, and I have a kids' BB game. The 19th is a full-family day (Christmas).

If anyone wants to record it, they can do this in any format that works. Multiple phones, cameras, camcorders, anything really. As long as that can be transferred to a PC I can open it up in Pinnacle Studio and chop it all together and upload it to the site (there is video upload capability, but it's disabled because it doesn't compress video so the server would get chewed up). Worst case I would put it up on YouTube and it would be publicly available until I figured out how to make it members only.

10. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Publicly wouldn't be a bad idea it may bring interest in being a member

11. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    I don't understand why family is more important than fish tanks......:cry:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Radioactivereef New User

Ankeny
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Neither really works for us either - we'll be at a wedding the 5th and the 19th is a maybe considering its 3 days before we leave for Florida. So my vote would be the 19th if those are the only dates we have
    --- Auto-Merged, Nov 24, 2015 ---
    I also think we should combine this with the party bus tank tour...just saying

13. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    To soon for the party bus not enough time for planning BUT that will be in the works for a future meeting ;)

14. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    The poll ends in 3 days make sure everyone is casting their votes in the poll above

15. B_Braz

B_Braz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +106 / 1 / -0
    5th or 19th works for me.

16. stew Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Neither works for me - family Christmas both days. :(

17. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    @stew@stew please see post above about family and fish tanks ;) Hopefully you can come for our DSM Holiday Party (date TBD).

To everyone reading this, I know the December times are hard because of the holidays and family commitments. We would always appreciate anyone who was able to stop in and say hi, or make an appearance, even if you can't stay the full time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. FFrost

Adel
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    One of the topics I've been waiting for, and its on opening weekend of shotgun season.
    I can do 19th, but looks like I'm being out voted for now.So I guess we'll see.

19. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Who is the speaker/photographer?

20. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    Sara and I were going to share what we have found that works for photographing tanks, coral, fish. Also open it up to others to share what they like to do or use. Figured then since we'll hopefully be in front of a nice big tank, we can help people take pictures so if there is a problem with lighting, or focus, they can ask a question and get assistance. :)