1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Dead Fish

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Why do fish die in my tank.  I bought two fish 6 weeks ago that died within a couple of days.  Waited 6 weeks, tested everything got 2 more "cheap" fish yesterday and this morning one is dead and the other gasping.  I have a CB shrimp and a brittle star and corals, snails, crabs that have all been living in the tank for months with no problems.  What would be "poison" to fish that doesn't bother these other creatures?

2. Mary

Mary Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had the same problem with a couple of smaller juvenile fish. In my case i think it was a problem with acclimation. Perhaps I had my drip running too fast as one died within hours and the other within 2 days. Since i purchased them online i didn't get to see them "eat". Neither fish ate after wards and both were breathng fast which is why I think it was my acclimation...
    The last fish I purchased is doing fine. And this time when I acclimated I watched my drip line very closely. He never seem stressed... but i purchased him from a LFS and saw him eat...

Mary

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I bought these online also since I have no other way to get any except to drive for hours. They never seemed stressed during the acclimation but put them in the tank and bye-bye. I am afraid to try it again.

4. Mary

Mary Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Where are you getting them?" and are they really small? I have had success buying online but the fish were "older"..

5. crony333

crony333 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure but I've had issues with juvenile fish. Depending on how small i have to acclimate them to a small tank and leave them there for a bit and make sure they are eating and not getting bullied around before I can move them. I've had a 1 or 2 that just had trouble swimming around with my powerheads in my tank since they were so small. I've had pretty good luck with Bluezooaquatics I got alot of my fish there disease free and I now try and pay slightly more for more mature fish and I think I haven't lost a "medium" fish at all. I'd definitely take a look at your acclimation process for online fish since they have been in the dark for like 18hr you need to acclimate them to the light as well.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    These were medium Damsels. I guess in a couple of months if I get my courage up I might try again but it is very discouraging.

7. Mary

Mary Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    blue zoo is where my fish came from.... both were "tiny" and didn't last 24 hours.

8. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is your water properly oxygenated?

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have two korillias (one on each end) plus sump and fuge both flowing into tank.

10. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I ordered once from Blue Zoo and was very impressed. When you say tested your water, everything looks good?
    And although I understand not wanting to spend much on fish when you aren't having success, I'd be leary of buying something that you would rather not have, down the road. JMO.

11. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How long has your tank been set up ? I'd like to hear more about your setup to be able to give you more specific advice.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's been up and running since the first of March.  I have a brittle star and a CB Shrimp, along with corals, snails, a couple of crabs that have all been living happily in it for several months.

13. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    another consideration is the history of the tank - was it a used tank, or new? if used, it's possible that it had some meds that are leaching into your water.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It was a used tank but as with copper I would think the inverts would be in trouble if something toxic was in the tank.

15. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Do the fish appear to have 'wasted away', almost disintegrating after they die?

16. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is there a skimmer? I still question oxygen levels, myself.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes I have a skimmer and it is open top with two inflows from sump and fuge and two korillias. I don't know how there could be a lack of oxygen.

No the fish did not waste away. The first one only lived a few hours and the second died during the night and was very solid. The third is still alive but with the rapid breathing I doubt it is going to live long.

18. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm. Well with a skimmer on there I doubt that it is lack of oxygen too. Are the fishing sticking to the top of the water shortly before expiring?

19. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It doesn't make sense that you can keep inverts but not fish. They have always seemed the touchier of the two in my mind. Wish I could help you in some way!!

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actually this one is staying in one corner but at about the middle of the tank. The one that died during the night was swimming just fine the last time I saw it.