1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Help!! Dead fish in quarantine tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mike, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Mike

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Sorry I have been MIA guys! Thanks to my wifey for picking up the slack in responding! :)

Here are all of the fish that we have as of right now:
    • 3 Clownfish
    • 3 Blue Caribbean Chromis (small)
    • 1 Magnificent Foxface
    • 1 Orange-back Fairy Wrasse
    • 1 Purple Tang
    • 1 Powder Brown Tang
    • 1 Diamondback Goby
    • 1 Coral Beauty Angel
    A reminder: our tank is a 125 gallon tank with about 25-30 gallons of water in the sump (does not take into account sand/live rock).

We are planning to perhaps add one more wrasse still down the road (would like to add a Vanuata Fairy Wrasse if we can find one in stock every!)

So if we are talking about putting the least aggressive in first, I would think that we would do the clowns, the chromis and the coral beauty first? Maybe also the goby? Let them get setup for a week and then add the rest? Thoughts on that plan?

2. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good I would save the most aggressive fish you have for last

3. Kalie

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    So we don't do the suggested putting both tangs in at once to prevent even more aggression? The powder brown is not aggressive at all and is even quite shy, so I really want to make sure he doesn't get beat up by the purple. But with what you're saying, putting in the most aggressive fish (purple tang) last, he should be pushed to the bottom of the line and should calm down and prevent him from fighting the powder brown as bad?

4. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    In theory that should work but a social acclimation box wouldn't be a bad idea either

5. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Just a word of caution, if the PBT and the PT are in the same QT, the PBT may appear more docile. PBT's CAN be aggressive so watch closely. If you had both in the 125 prior to QT, changing up the rockscape could be be helpful so as to not have them think all is the same when returning as it likely will not be the same. My PT is the boss of the tank that he's in however when I added 2 new tangs, he didn't do anything with the aggression. between the 2 new tangs...they tried to bully him but that got shot down right away. The 2 new tangs were in QT together and were best buddies Until they got in the 180g. Adding 2 is more difficult than adding 4 or more. Good luck and the social acclimation is great to have available. If you know "for sure" which is the most aggressive, I would add that one last and keep it in the acclimation box until the aggression seems to have stopped. Of course there is guarantee as they are tangs. Just be ready to act fast if needed.

6. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    omission...Of course there is " no" guarantee as they are tangs. Wishing you and the inhabitants success!

7. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    My powder blue is extremely aggressive. Bullies my three yellow tangs and blue hippo tang pretty frequently. Definitely wish I would have saved him for last. Oh well... live and learn.

8. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Yes, tangs are difficult to add 1 or 2 at a time. They can be best buds in QT but when they get in a large(r) tank, all hell can break loose. There's a thread on R2R ranking the order of aggression for tangs. IMO, there's so many variables that it's really hard to say which tang is the most aggressive. All I know is the more you can add at once, the better because the aggression is usually spread around. The weakest one can be tortured by the others, then going down the line. Always be prepared because injury or death can happen quickly. I had a powder brown that "hated" powder blues. The brown won. Lots of rockwork for escape...lots of nori to eat and being prepared will help some. Best of luck.

9. Kalie

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    So what you're saying is... I need more tangs?!

10. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    Hehe my yellow tangs were buds in QT and then hated one another once they moved into the 400g display. They get along together well now that there is a PBT which chases them around.

11. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    No. Just saying it's easier to add a 3+ tangs but the bioload needs to be able to handle it too, etc

12. Mike

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Ok guys. Need advice asap. All fish have been moved over to display tank. Finally! All is well. Until an hour after last fish is moved over and I then notice this spot on the Powder Brown Tang. It wasn't there this morning.

If this is another parasite outbreak I think I am giving up. What is going on here?

20170907_171523.jpg

13. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Lump on the head, above the eye, right? Looks like a physical injury maybe? Like a jammed into a rock. I've seen something like that before, it went away eventually. Hard to say for sure from the pic.

14. Mike

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I hope that is all it is. I won't be happy if we did all this work just to get nailed with parasites right away again! It could be an injury though. We added another Tang today and they were all going crazy. So hopefully that is all?

15. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    As Bud said, it could be an injury. I can't remember the name but the fish can have an internal bump that is noticeable just from a tank transfer/stress and it will disappear. I've had that happen once . So you said you added another tang...that's confused me, sorry. Can you tell me/us how and what you added for the tangs? I'm assuming all were QT'd for ? how many weeks?

Try to keep the environment low-key (not a lot of foot traffic/ standing at the tank watching/subdued lighting) until they settle in. Feed nori so they can focus on that vs each other...it will also promote normal behaviors and nutritional needs :0) Tangs=ich often, especially with any change...be watchful:0)

16. Mike

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Yes I added a third tang to my tank. I ordered it from Live Aquaria's Divers Den and then had him QTed for about two weeks. So the tang order was as follows:

1 - Added Powder Brown to the display tank. He was new, and had been in QT (treated with copper while there) for about 8 weeks.

2 - Three days after I added the PBT, I added my Purple Tang (who I had before the display tank went fallow). Like all of my previous fish, he was in QT for about 11 weeks and was also treated with copper.

3 - 4 days later, I added my final (new) tang to the display tank - a squaretail bristletooth tang. As stated above, I received him from Live Aquaria's Diver's Den and had him QTed here for about 2 weeks before moving him to the display tank.

17. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Ok, thanks for the info :) Hopefully the bristletooth tang will work out adding him last. Looks like you have done your best so wishing them all well! Let us know how they are doing.

18. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    How did things turn out with the powder brown and square tail? The mark on him could just be a stress mark.

19. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    He is a beautiful fish BTW

20. Mike

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    So far so good! The bump vanished after a day. Lost one fish moving over. Our Coral Beauty died for some unknown reason. But everybody else looks healthy. So I am calling this a win so far.