1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Help!! Dead fish in quarantine tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mike, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Mike

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Yup that all sounds right!

2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I shot Craig a message too

3. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Fairy wrasses generally do well in chelated copper as long as you rise it to therapeutic levels over the course of 3 or 4 days. You will definitely want to treat your new arrivals with copper and prazipro since you went to the trouble off qt'ing all your fish and running your DT fallow.

4. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    Don't forget that you'll want a lid of some kind for that wrasse!

5. Mike

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    We have a list on it. Have heard they like to jump.

6. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I pretty much agree with Barrett, looks bacterial.

QT needs to be kept clean, well fed, well oxygenated. Tough to do it all at once.

7. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Thanks for chiming in Craig!

One thing that might explain the nitrate could be not squeezing out the detritus from the sponge filter. I mentioned that you want to do this probably once a week or more. During PWC, pull out sponge, repeatedly squeeze in the water you pull out (not in RODI or tap water, which can kill off beneficial bacteria).

8. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    How are all the other fish doing?

9. Mike

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    The best that I can tell, the other fish are doing ok. But I am a little scared still because I have 5 more fish coming in the morning (as mentioned above: 3 chromis, 1 diamondback goby, 1 orange-back ferry wrasse). Well you can now add to that a 5 1/2" Magnificient Foxface that will be here Tuesday!

So Bud - after you have tested the water, knowing that I am going to be cramming 6 more fish in the two 40-gallon tanks to go along with the 5 already there, do you think I need to add more filtration? Larger HOB filters perhaps? Or should I think about adding HOB skimmers? Or additional sponge filters? I hate to spend TOO much money since this is only needed for 5 more weeks, but I also want to make sure we don't lose anymore!

10. Mike

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Craig -

Forgive my ignorance here, but what would cause that kind of bacterial infection? We are going to be treating with prazipro. Is there anything else we should be doing to avoid this from happening to the rest of the fish in QT?

11. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Bacterial infections like that often happen after fish have parasites like velvet from the open wound left behind after the parasite falls off. The best thing to prevent it is to keep pristine water conditions and feed high quality vitamin soaked foods to boost the fishes immune system.

That is a lot of fish in two 40 gal tanks. Ideally you should have at least one more qt. If you can't get one more filtration is never a bad idea, I would get some bottled bacteria and seed either the sponge filter or the filter floss for the hob filter. Soak the actual filter media do not put the bacteria in the water. You could do the same thing if you are able to setup another qt.

12. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    Just make sure you are very well oxygenated while treating with prazipro. There is alcohol mixed into the prazipro which makes the praziquantel more soluble (it's actually kind of a pain to try to get dry praziquantel to mix with water). The downside though is that the alcohol can cause a bacterial bloom and deplete oxygen levels.

• Like Like x 1
    • Noteworthy! Noteworthy! x 1
    • List
  13. Mike

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Good to know. I just added a secondary air line to each tank. Thanks for the info!

14. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    How are your fish doing? I hope all is well.

15. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Interested also...

16. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Seachem's Focus is a binder used when putting medication in fish food. Other good products to use when QTing fish is Selcon or Selco. Those are good...I use Selco regularly feeding my fish.

Great job giving treatment guidance Barret and Actuary!! You too Craig and Bud;)

17. Kalie

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Since Mike hasn't had a chance to chime in, I will (the wifey). No more losses have happened. We added a bunch of more filtration for everyone and I stopped doing every other day water changes unless I see something other than nitrite or nitrate creep up. We added a third tank as well and added a magnificent foxface, powder brown tang, a replacement goby, and a orange back wrasse to start the quarantine process of them since we are less than 3 weeks out from putting everyone back in the tank (thank goodness!).

Does anyone have advice for order of putting the fish back in to the display tank? Put all the big fish in (foxface and two tangs) for a few days and then put in the smaller fish, or smaller fish first to find their hiding spots and then a few days later add in the larger fish? The reason I'm asking is not only to avoid a mini-cycle in the display tank, but our purple tang has gotten increasingly aggressive towards the coral beauty. I currently have a mirror against the tank to help him fight that instead of the fish, but it isn't working. There's plenty of food available for him. The coral beauty never bothers him. I'm almost to the point that I think I need to take the coral beauty out and put him in one of the other two tanks before he gets beat up.

Thanks to everyone for your help with our issue and giving some awesome advice.

18. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Hey @Kalie@Kalie thanks for the update (your post got stuck in a moderation queue). Glad to hear the losses have stopped! I'll let someone else chime in on the order of re-stocking. There is a logic to it, but I can't recall. I think it's the least aggressive first, most aggressive last? But it could be the total opposite. :eggonface:

19. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Put the smaller more timid fish in first for at least a week to establish there territory before the more aggressive fish come in and take the whole tank. I would put the coral beauty in with the clown fish that have been quarantined already to avoid re infection from any parasites the new fish may have. Glad to hear everyone is doing well. How long has you DT been fallow? If it has been 76 days you're good to start restocking the DT.

20. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    If the purple tang is your most aggressive fish I would put it in last, that should help curb some aggression.